starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People not buying weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Reading this thread makes me appreciate my Rogue Rips 0.5”, which I got in 2011 and are still going strong. People without proper shoes are missing out. Any bets on how many more years I can get out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    I'm currently one of those who are stuck lifting in Converse, because I have a 4E width foot, but all the lifting shoes I've seen when searching online are regular width.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    The Rogue Do-Wins should work for you. They're pretty much the widest lifting shoes on the market, even though they don't advertise a specific wide width shoe.
    Steve, what Elle said.

I'm a 9.5 4E for my regular shoes (although my new custom work boots from Nick's Handmade has me at an 8 FF). Last year, prior to my first powerlift meet, I ordered the Rogue Do-Wins based on similar advice as Elle's. Reading all of the reviews and suggestions, even from Rogue, suggested sizing up for width, but I didn't size up, sticking with the 9.5's. They fit great and have treated me well.

Although I do not suggest using them while you (overhead) press.

Thanks for the feedback and help everyone. I do like the look of the Do-Wins, and your feedback is making them more appealing, I will likely be ordering today. Last question, is there any benefit in the leather sole "Classics" over the standard shoe in use, comfort or longevity to make them worth more?

Thanks for the tip Elle, how do I need to order, should I order my exact size or do I need to go up a size as I normally do when getting regular fit shoes?
    Since Rogue suggests you size down half a size vs tennis shoes, I'd probably start with your normal size (don't size up or down).

I had a client with really wide feet once and the research led to the Reebok Legacy Lifters and he had no issues

Quote Originally Posted by joshgoode View Post
    Reading this thread makes me appreciate my Rogue Rips 0.5”, which I got in 2011 and are still going strong. People without proper shoes are missing out. Any bets on how many more years I can get out of them?
    “Many”

Just have a cobbler add metal eyelets.

I have sung the praises of those shoes many times on Rip’s board.

Vince

Thanks for the feedback and help everyone. I do like the look of the Do-Wins, and your feedback is making them more appealing, I will likely be ordering today. Last question, is there any benefit in the leather sole "Classics" over the standard shoe in use, comfort or longevity to make them worth more?
    I bought my classics partly because they're leather and suede. I figured if any damages happen I can just take them to the shoe shop for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    I bought my classics partly because they're leather and suede. I figured if any damages happen I can just take them to the shoe shop for repairs.
    The fit between the classic/new Do-Wins is different. More than just width it's going to depend on where the width is in one's foot. It can become compounded with other issues like high instep and/or low arches. Since Rogue does free returns the best choice would be to get one of each in your regular shoe size and then maybe one of each in a half size up (if you have wide feet).

I went through this last year in a hunt for wide lifting shoes and the Do-Win new model came in second for fit for my feet (wide - 3E/4E, high instep, somewhat low arch). I ended up with the older discontinued Romaleos 2 (these can be found NOS in a few places still).

On the original topic, I know that 20-30 years ago when I was lifting for the first time I could barely find lifting shoes anywhere and definitely not in my size. I wore harder soled skateboard shoes at the time. I think that the lack of availability for so long has put a history on using Chucks or other flat soled shoes that some people follow.

As to why people even ignore advice from experts about wearing proper lifting shoes that's a broader phenomenon in the western world where experts of all stripes are being marginalized. One area that this has happened and is now mostly uncontroversial to mention is the tobacco companies' campaign starting at least in the 50's to marginalize and confuse any evidence and expert opinion on the dangers of smoking. This continues today in many other areas none of which I will mention on this board as it would antagonize some. This disputing the validity of real experts by often corporate sponsored hacks leads to a general weakening in the trust of experts of any type. We then get to where any yahoo who has watched a 3 minute Youtube video (of unknown and probably questionable reliability) consider themselves an expert and in no need of anybody else's input. These folks with very little knowledge then go on to "infect" others who have no knowledge. I will refer you to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tomskarda View Post
    Rip,

Can someone explain to me the Millennial resistance to buying a pair of f#$%#% weightlifting shoes?

It's not like it is 1990 and when finding the damn things was practically a quest for fire.

I ask as I've taught the basic lifts to maybe half a dozen men, and one woman, over the last five years or so. I'm certainly no great coach and haven't handled the volume of people a professional would.

But despite keeping up with their lifting the entire time I knew them only one, the lady, bothered to buy proper shoes.

It's not like they are that expensive and all of these people had jobs.

Am I just routinely dealing with morons?

And I've heard just about every possible excuse from "my Converse work fine" to "bringing an extra pair[of shoes] to the gym is too much trouble."

What is the deal with this?
    Speaking as a millennial that does have shoes the reason is that most of my generation follow the herd.

If you had a few of these Instagram types post about wearing them suddenly they would be a must have item.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I had a client with really wide feet once and the research led to the Reebok Legacy Lifters and he had no issues
    Yep I have this issue and got these shoes which are great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast