starting strength gym

Thread: Rebecca Fishburne SSC: The Reluctant Female Novice

Default Rebecca Fishburne SSC: The Reluctant Female Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Good lord, are you all GD mind readers?

I have found this article to be absolutely true. With older women (40s-50s that we train with) they just don't care about numbers. They are much more interested in lifting with a friend and they don't care about how many plates they add on. We keep the 45s on our side and the 2 1/2s and fractionals on their side. Whatever you do, don't hog the 10s, 5s, and especially the 2-1/2s if you wan't to keep them in the gym with you. The MOST important thing you can do is get a "girl's bar" (a 20 pound bar). They love it for presses and bench. That, and get them their own rack. Keep in mind, most women HATE moving 45s off the bar.

After they rush through their sets, they just go off and do their yoga in the office. Hey, it keeps them lifting and it keeps them happy. Why would anyone want to mess that up? They don't mind being coached, but they don't want to be pushed too hard either. We just let them go at their own pace so they will be happy and stay with it. My wife and Doug's wife have lifted for years with us.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Keep in mind, most women HATE moving 45s off the bar.
    Lol this has actually become a serious problem for me lately. My squat is up to 145, but I am physically just not strong enough to get a 45 onto a racked squat-height bar. I almost throw my back out every time trying. The awkward 35lb plates no one likes have become my friend.

Opposite situation here. My girlfriend was stoked to swap out all the little plates for the big 45s on squat. haha.

Though we do only refer to them as BIG BOY PLATES (metallica voice) so maybe it's just more fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Lol this has actually become a serious problem for me lately. My squat is up to 145, but I am physically just not strong enough to get a 45 onto a racked squat-height bar. I almost throw my back out every time trying. The awkward 35lb plates no one likes have become my friend.
    Put your belt on before swapping plates. Seriously.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Well, this is one reason why cleans and continentals are useful - they're natural ways to throw a weight up. How are your cleans?