starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learning the hook grip

Default learning the hook grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hey Rip,

I've decided to start using a hook grip to see if it helped my deadlift at all. I have a hunch that it's affecting my ability to gain in the lift.

I tried it yesterday and it seemed to work pretty well. I am right handed, so my right handed hook felt alot better (it was double overhand to try and get my strength up). Is this typical to have a non-dominant hand's hook feel a bit off?

I've looked in SS:BBT and your hands don't look incredibly large, rather similar to mine. Can you make an effective hook?

I actually have large hands and can make a good hook. But I do not feel the difference between my dexterous and non-dexterous hands in the hook. I assume you are using a double-overhand hook as opposed to an alternate hook.

I guess pictures can be misleading...

I will take a picture of my hook today

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    I've looked in SS:BBT and your hands don't look incredibly large, rather similar to mine.
    They only look small because his forearms are so big.

As for the hook, how heavy are your deadlifts? Mine are not at all impressive, just 285 last week, but I did them double-overhand, no straps, and no hook-grip. However, I've been doing grip work, too, and I think it helps. It just seems like a worthwhile thing to go with for as long as one can.

went to the gym and took some pictures:

and

Felt pretty good today. After I chalked up after doing the first set "raw" (I was doing rows at 135lbs) the grip was very secure. I assume it's a good sign if my thumbs hurt a bit?

Your hands are plenty big. If anything, you may be overgripping a little bit; you just need to cover your thumbnail, not wrap over the other side of it. This should let the bar hang a little lower in the fingers and will take some twist off of your thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    As for the hook, how heavy are your deadlifts? Mine are not at all impressive, just 285 last week, but I did them double-overhand, no straps, and no hook-grip. However, I've been doing grip work, too, and I think it helps. It just seems like a worthwhile thing to go with for as long as one can.
    at one point I was able to pull 315 3/4ths of the way off the ground, but recently I've had some trouble with my strength. I think it could be related to deadlifting once a week, whereas I used to pull biweekly. Grip strength needs improving, however.

I also used to bounce my pulls and do otherwise stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your hands are plenty big. If anything, you may be overgripping a little bit; you just need to cover your thumbnail, not wrap over the other side of it. This should let the bar hang a little lower in the fingers and will take some twist off of your thumb.
    first time I've heard that since my hands are barely 7 inches long bottom to middle finger, so good news

it's really amazing how much more effective the hook feels with the aid of chalk.

... and I was trying to hook my thumb over my fingers... doh!

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    first time I've heard that since my hands are barely 7 inches long bottom to middle finger, so good news
    Have you been asking girls who are into art? Girls who are into art will tell you that you have small hands. They will also tell you that you have a big ass. But the next day, they'll say your ass is fine, but you've got a fat face. It's best to take it all with a grain of salt. If they are not into art, though, you might worry. I wouldn't listen to anything that a guy says, because it's silly (and unnecessarily gay in its advanced forms).

starting strength coach development program
    Should it be standard to deadlift with the hook grip?

Does that hold true when you use the alternating grip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast