starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Steel: Solitude

Default Jim Steel: Solitude

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This was a great read, for someone like me that's probably not going to squat 500... Or prob not even 400.

For guys that are really strong like this, at what point in their training and at what weight did the bar start feeling heavy?

I'm a weak ass, old, and new at this.... 185 felt HEAVY for me when I first competed it. A few weeks later, and now at 225x3x2... That's heavy too.

Jim coached me for about a year. Never met him in person, but I am from an area in NC near where he coached. I related to him because there’s redneck in me and some in him too.

One day I’ll mosey into a dive bar in my hometown, which he passes through occasionally, and I’ll meet him in person.

Always enjoy reading his stuff! Terrific coach too.

And Bounty Hunter gets me fired up!

(Gator Country is for the breaks between sets.)

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    This was a great read, for someone like me that's probably not going to squat 500... Or prob not even 400.

For guys that are really strong like this, at what point in their training and at what weight did the bar start feeling heavy?

I'm a weak ass, old, and new at this.... 185 felt HEAVY for me when I first competed it. A few weeks later, and now at 225x3x2... That's heavy too.
    It’s all relative! Measure progress by YOU. Not anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    It’s all relative! Measure progress by YOU. Not anyone else.
    Oh, I understand that. I'm just curious when really strong guys started to say to themselves...'shit this is heavy.' is their perception of heavy the same as mine? Prob not, they have a much higher strength capacity than I do. Is the floor as significantly higher than the ceiling?

Oh, I understand that. I'm just curious when really strong guys started to say to themselves...'shit this is heavy.' is their perception of heavy the same as mine? Prob not, they have a much higher strength capacity than I do. Is the floor as significantly higher than the ceiling?
    As I get stronger the weights feel heavier and heavier. Sure, lighter weights become easier, but feels like the heavy sets feel heavier at a faster rate. I pulled 600x3 the other week, and the warmup at 400 already felt heavy. And a new 5RM squat has started to feel so hard and heavy I find myself dreading it for days in advance.

A young lifter once asked Ed Coan what it felt like to squat 1000 lbs. Ed asked the youngster what his PR was, and the youngster responded - 500 lbs. Then Ed said - “ It felt like that”.

The goal is improvement - not comparison with others.

My first 500x5 felt heavy. So did my first 420x5. And my first 315x5. It's always felt heavy. But you just add 5lbs at a time and question your life choices every morning.

I’m at 280 now on squats. Feels lighter than it was at 220, but maybe it will feel heavier at 300. Deadlifts felt super heavy as I was breaking 300, that was about when the end of the pull started slowing down. I’m used to the slowing down now, so I guess I’m good until I get to 400. But the other lifts are a joke compared to squats.

starting strength coach development program
    It is interesting how feelings adapt along with strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast