starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #71: Go To A Meet

I liked your comments about weigh ins Rip. I get the intention to create a more even playing field but at this point has their usefulness been diminished when athletes just manipulate their body weight to hit a target on a given day rather than competing at the weight they usually train at?

It reminds me of a blog post from a local up and coming boxer who lost his fight that would have been a big jump in the professional ranks. He talked about having to spend hours in the sauna to lose weight (from memory 11 pounds in 2 days) and by the time he got to the fight he felt sick, had no energy and ultimately lost. I wonder how many good athletes have missed their chance because they were pushed into a weight category that was never going to work for them.

A similar thing with a guy who work who completed in triathlons and wanted to lose 14lbs in a week. In this instance I think weight loss has become so synonymous with health that people will dehydrate themselves to dangerous levels so they can step on the scale and feel 'healthier'.

Enjoyed this one a lot. I’m doing my first Strengthlifting meet this November, and I agree it’s focused my training.

One question. I may be ignorant, but I’ve gotten the impression that Olympic weightlifting is just not popular in the US. It wasn’t offered at my high school or college, both of which did offer powerlifting. I had heard of the Olympic lifts doing other exercise programs (CrossFit included... we all make poor decisions in life occasionally) but again had never actually heard of it as a sport the way you hear about football for example. Seems popular in other countries though.

Am I right that it’s not very popular here? If so why not?

It's not popular here. There is no access to coaching, and it's hard to learn on your own.

Rip,
    Have you, stef, or anyone in the SS gym franchises noticed a rise in non-lifting athletes expressing interest in power/strength/oly lifting?

This podcast got me wondering if, due to so many high school, college, and even some pro athletes not being able to play their sport of choice due to Covid, maybe some of them might turn to competitive lifting. Many athletes probably already do some kind of lifting for their sport, but lifting as their sport . . . I dunno.

I've never been an athlete, but I'd have to think many athletes are frustrated and likely some mix of angry and depressed that Covid has taken their sport away and made them check their competitive spirit at the door. Maybe training as a lifter might be a worthy alternative until their sport of choice can return to normal. And then they'd be even better at their sport because they'd be stronger.

Seems like, with the right messaging to these athletes, there could be a renewed interest in lifting for lifting's sake.

-Vince

All members of SS Gyms are lifters, since they are all taught the lifts and that is their programming. I'd say that half of them like the idea of competing, and will go to a meet within their first year of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not popular here. There is no access to coaching, and it's hard to learn on your own.
    Hmm. Is the lack of popularity due to no coaching, or is there no coaching due to the lack of popularity?

starting strength coach development program
    There are no scholarship opportunities, and good athletes would like to get college paid for. Just like Jai Alai, it's just not a popular sport.