starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, the lifting shoes!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stick with the shoes for squat, press and bench. I find it makes everything easier. For deadlifts, I wear very thin soled indoor soccer shoes (basically the sole/heel/insoles of wrestling shoes) because I actually prefer the extra stretch I get in the hamstrings when I get down there. I consider it part of getting, tight and locked in under the bar. But for everything else, I prefer the weightlifting shoes. Theres probably a learning cuirve for everyone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Stick with the shoes for squat, press and bench. I find it makes everything easier. For deadlifts, I wear very thin soled indoor soccer shoes (basically the sole/heel/insoles of wrestling shoes) because I actually prefer the extra stretch I get in the hamstrings when I get down there. I consider it part of getting, tight and locked in under the bar. But for everything else, I prefer the weightlifting shoes. Theres probably a learning cuirve for everyone.
    You are right about the learning curve. I finally got my shoes in last week, and have noticed I'm having to relearn my form on the squats and deadlifts to a point. One of the cues I was subconsciously using for determining squat depth was the feel of my ankles to tell me when I had gotten deep enough; that's changed with the lifting shoes so I'm having to fight not going too deep. On the deadlift, I have to consciously work now to keep the bar from going forward (1" from my shins) due to the heel shifting my body angle and consequently the load forward ever so slightly. Not sure if I want to back off the weight a little and work back up while retraining form and cues with the new shoes or practice on them in the evenings separate from my workouts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12