starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training in your 40's after having both hips replaced

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started out on regular LP, but by the third session in the week, my lower body did not feel recovered. I have since moved to a 4-day template swapping an intensity lift and volume lift each time. That seems to feel better. My issues before could have been from form. I went to see Alex Beasley when she was in the Nashville area a year before my first surgery. I was too far gone to really get what I needed to out of that. I could use some coaching, but Alex is not here anymore. Do you know of anyone close?

Hi Daniel,

I apologize for my delayed response. I am happy to hear that the 4 day split is working for you. I am not sure if we have any coaches in that area at the moment, but I would suggest checking out the Coaching Directory:

SSCA : Coaching

If there aren't any coaches in your area, I would suggest seeking out a coach who offers online services. Many SSCs offer online coaching. They can be found here:

Starting Strength Online Coaching:

I hope that helps!

John

If I follow a 3-day or 4-day LP and progress from there, is there a point of too much weight for the hips and surrounding structures? I have worked up to 1X5 at 285# on DL and 3X5 at 215# on the squat so far. I am also pressing and benching. I haven't experienced any issues so far other than elbow pain from a football injury and surgery in college. I just don't know how far to go before I create possible issues for myself. I need to keep these hips as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by danielk View Post
    If I follow a 3-day or 4-day LP and progress from there, is there a point of too much weight for the hips and surrounding structures? I have worked up to 1X5 at 285# on DL and 3X5 at 215# on the squat so far. I am also pressing and benching. I haven't experienced any issues so far other than elbow pain from a football injury and surgery in college. I just don't know how far to go before I create possible issues for myself. I need to keep these hips as long as possible.
    I don't think so provided you progressively load yourself in an incremental fashion, but ultimately, how far you push things will be up to you.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to give some good information. I'll just keep going and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12