starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin C the steroid for old folk

Default Vitamin C the steroid for old folk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark have you come across a study such as this suggesting that vitamin C helps to maintain muscle mass in older people? I don't see anything regarding strength training, maybe it is nonsense.

Lower Dietary and Circulating Vitamin C in Middle- and Older-Aged Men and Women Are Associated with Lower Estimated Skeletal Muscle Mass | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic

It's "folks," wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's "folks," wal.
    I was referring to the mob, not the actual individuals as such, but as I said somewhere before I was never any good at English, and collective nouns were so confusing, such as a murder of crows, a flange of baboons, a clowder of cats and a gym of trainees. Bet the sun is going down over your way, just coming over the horizon here and about 3 degrees C. I am not training today, having an RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Mark have you come across a study such as this suggesting that vitamin C helps to maintain muscle mass in older people? I don't see anything regarding strength training, maybe it is nonsense.

Lower Dietary and Circulating Vitamin C in Middle- and Older-Aged Men and Women Are Associated with Lower Estimated Skeletal Muscle Mass | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
    What else might the people with higher lean body mass have in common, besides higher vitamin C?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    What else might the people with higher lean body mass have in common, besides higher vitamin C?
    Or what do the people with lower lean body mass have in common, besides lower vitamin c? Probably shit nutrition and no exercise habits to speak of. It's hard to isolate one thing like that and say for sure it has this profound effect.

It's the age-old cause-and-effect/correlation confusion. Science is hard sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Creatine and protein powders are "performance enhancing substances?" No bias there. I had a 16oz performance enhancing ribeye last night too. Chock full of protein and creatine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Uh oh, I have been craving a whole lot of booze lately. But I think that's just the effect of this fucking year.

starting strength coach development program
    I use a legal form of performance enhancement. My Mrs reckons she is going to leave me if I go for just one more strength training session. I have never trained so hard in my life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast