starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Rip, I recall you 'revisiting' your scotch collection of late (flashback to the Strength and Scotch podcast). Are you back onto the American whiskeys now? Which American whiskey do you find yourself consuming most regularly?
    If I have 4 pours a night, all 4 of them will be different. I very seldom have the same one twice, even on consecutive evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If I have 4 pours a night, all 4 of them will be different. I very seldom have the same one twice, even on consecutive evenings.
    Variety is the spice of life!

Also, can someone please page John Musser. Everytime I read about whiskey on here, his post of last rings in my ears - 'I miss reading about booze and guns on the forums'

Quote Originally Posted by Archon3D View Post
    I just finished listening to the alcohol show - I’m curious if there are exceptions to the Rip’s judgement on blended whiskeys? I’m thinking specifically of Johnnie Walker black or blue. I haven’t had a real drink in quite a while but I have fond memories of Johnnie Walker.
    Over the years I've tried most of the Johnnie Walker line. For a blended scotch, it's good. For my money, the best choice is Double Black. Cheaper than Black and tastes better. I've have Blue on several occasions and not yet paid for it myself. The flavor disappoints every time. Its nice to try once, but get someone else to foot the bill. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    Over the years I've tried most of the Johnnie Walker line. For a blended scotch, it's good. For my money, the best choice is Double Black. Cheaper than Black and tastes better. I've have Blue on several occasions and not yet paid for it myself. The flavor disappoints every time. Its nice to try once, but get someone else to foot the bill. :-)
    Try oban and try going there. You can literally taste the fresh sea air where it was distilled. With the added bonus that you can get a boat to any of the other fine distilleries.

The only problem being that you can't take your pocketknife into the UK. It used to be a fun place, years ago.

Do yourselves a favor guys and try Lagavulin if you can find it.
    That is nectar to me......

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The only problem being that you can't take your pocketknife into the UK. It used to be a fun place, years ago.
    Really? You can buy a pocket knife in any fishing or outdoors retailer here. Seems odd that you can't bring one with you in hold luggage.

Well I hope that doesn't put you off coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas Theodorakis View Post
    Do yourselves a favor guys and try Lagavulin if you can find it.
    That is nectar to me......
    Yes that is a beautiful drink

Enjoyed four pours tonight: Old Forester 100 (2 pours), Old Forester 1920 (one pour), Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select (one pour). Squats tomorrow.

Travis,
    Thank you for the page.

I decided a while back I wasn’t going to wear myself out chasing hard to find stuff.

Lately, I have been drinking a lot of Old Forester products, a variety of expressions. Buffalo Trace if it is in front of me, and Old Grandad 114.

I am always on the look out for good Bottled In Bonds, they are usually cheap, pretty tasty, and I know where they come from with out much effort.

Rip likes a variety, even in the same sitting. Unless I am with friends and we are sampling different things, I grab a bottle and stay with it until it’s time to open another. Usually a few days time.

starting strength coach development program
    Stumbled on an unlikely spot to find buffalo trace bourbons and picked up a Stagg Jr. and Rock Hill Farms. Very happy to have found this place but they do markup the bottles by about $20-25. Not great, but I'll never find the stuff anywhere else around me so whatever.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast