starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Whiskey Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Curious, what is your daily carry pocketknife?
    I have three: a Kershaw, a Dozier, and a Languiole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have three: a Kershaw, a Dozier, and a Languiole.
    Out of interest is the pocket knife thing because you use it or more or a libertarian thing? I'm not criticising I have a tonne or pocket knives for fishing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    I'll buy you a new pocket knife for when you arrive. They are not illegal here but you might have a challenge in an airport.
    Legally, we can only EDC a non-locking knife with a blade of less than 3" in length. Like a slip-joint Victorinox or Spyderco UK Penknife, etc. I know of a doorman who got into a pretty bad but routine scrap, was searched by the attending police and they randomly confiscated his perfectly legal Spyderco UK Penknife (the black handled one with the "Leaf" blade) because, according to the constable, "it looked nasty". For that reason I carry a pink Spyderco Squeak. A pink knife marketed as "Squeak".

When Rip says "Pocket knife" I think he's talking about a real knife he could defend himself with - and not just daintily slice cheese and open letters with.

I use a knife every day. You don't? And I am not talking about an effective weapon.

Rip, I recently listened to an older podcast on whiskey and found a bottle of buffalo trace and eagle rare, both are very good for someone starting out and I appreciate the recommendations. Eagle rare in the Waxahachie area runs $50 a bottle now and it took three liquor stores to find a bottle. Is Weller 12 impossible to find these days? Also Old Rip 10? Maybe it's just the availability in my area, but it would be cool to even find a bottle of Stagg Jr. Also what other distilleries are worth looking into for good bourbon?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    Wild Turkey 101 is an awesome budget bourbon that punches above it's price point. Bourbons are sweeter than other whiskeys with standard flavor notes of vanilla, caramel, cherry, cinnamon, and oak in different proportions. You might just not be into those flavors? It also takes time to really appreciate the flavors, maybe try lower proof options that let you bypass any alcohol burn whatsoever? I myself am in a barrel proof phase of whiskey drinking. After all you can always bring the proof down but you can't bring it up. Enjoyed some Stagg Jr. (batch 14, 130 proof) last night and lucked upon a bottle of Elijah Craig's Barrel Proof (B520) today. Can't wait to compare the two. As for scotch, I love the peaty (smokey) Islay scotches, particularly the Ardbeg 10.
    Thanks all. I have no problem with burn being a big scotch fan, which runs in the family. A friend of mine swears by Wild Turkey and I just didn't believe it could be a good example of bourbon but didn't know enough about it.

I have done some research and found a list Rip did in 2016 (below for anyone who is interested).

I have ordered the Eagle Rare, looking forward to it.

I'd say:

Weller 107
    Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    Eagle Rare 10
    Willett Rye 3
    Stagg Jr
    Glenmorangie 10
    Laphroig 10
    MacKenzie Rye
    Old Potrero 18th Century Style Whiskey
    Connemara Peated Irish Whiskey CS

The start of an excellent cabinet.