starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I become an athlete at 20?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    It might be motivational to hear Jocko talk about his BJJ career on Jocko Podcast (some of the earlier episodes). He is a training partner for some of the greats, but only picked up the sport in earnest toward the end of his Navy SEAL career. Before the SEALs I don't believe he ever did any type of martial art or sport.

Obviously, he has above average strength/fitness if he was able to become a SEAL. But he talks a lot in his podcast about rolling twice a day for years on end because that's what it takes to be good, technically, at BJJ. He also talks about how he'd go away on deployment for 6 months and have to work to get it all back again. You might find those stories motivating, or they might leave you feeling like it's not worth it for you.
    Rolling 2x/day would be too much for me to recover from, personally. This depends on how hard you spar.

You can get pretty damn good rolling 2-3x/week, another 2-3 hours attending fundamentals and drilling. Drillers are killers.

Yes you could. You can start just by committing to regular training with a quality coach. And read Teddy Roosevelt’s “The Man in the Arena” when you feel like quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Morrison View Post
    Coach,

Do you think a young kid, already a sophomore in college, could pursue high-level competition in a physical sport given his lack of an athletic history or is he more or less destined to always be second to the kid who's been simply doing it longer and wasting his time?

Thank you sir,

- Devin
    The standing vertical jump is always a good predictor of athletic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Morrison View Post
    Coach,

Do you think a young kid, already a sophomore in college, could pursue high-level competition in a physical sport given his lack of an athletic history or is he more or less destined to always be second to the kid who's been simply doing it longer and wasting his time?

Thank you sir,

- Devin
    Seems like you need to put a lot more thought into what you really want out of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Rolling 2x/day would be too much for me to recover from, personally. This depends on how hard you spar.

You can get pretty damn good rolling 2-3x/week, another 2-3 hours attending fundamentals and drilling. Drillers are killers.
    Yes, and to the OP:

Read those books I recommended. The absolute fastest way to catch people is drilling. And when I say drilling, I don't mean doing it 5-10 times and you are done. Thousands and tens of thousands of times - deliberate practice. By the way, for BJJ to get another advantage: take judo also because you can catch a lot of people with throws that they would not expect. I would practice and drill every day if I wanted to be a world champion or compete with the elites - twice a day is even better.

starting strength coach development program
    Julia Child learned to cook in her late 30s. It’s never too late to try your hand at a new skill. You may not be the best, but you may still be memorable, and you might enjoy yourself along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12