starting strength gym

Thread: Andrea Signor: Strength Training with Scoliosis

Default Andrea Signor: Strength Training with Scoliosis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This is really fascinating. I assume the reason it hasn't got much discussion is that folks with this problem just aren't hanging out on this sort of site, for the most part.

I know a woman who had the surgical intervention (fusion and rods) as a teenager and has been super hesitant to do anything that might put mechanical stress on what already feels like foreign matter in a very vulnerable area. I will send her this article. I think Dr. Curry's experience is probably closest to hers. I was excited when you opened with that one, but a bit disappointed to not hear more about issues of training with the surgical repairs (as opposed to just the curvature).

I could imagine that the surgical repairs might be stronger than the original tissue - but it does introduce some inflexibility that could be more prone to injury (?).

I will share this article with my friend. Would it be possible for her to contact Dr. Curry or you with follow-up questions/ inquiries about who might coach her in her area, etc.?

Many thanks - hope this finds the people who could most use it!

Hi JohnKreg,

I emailed Dr. Curry with your question. I will let you know if he responds!

Just noticed that Tom DiStasio seems to be the Starting Strength coach with the most experience, here. Does that include with folks who have had the fusion and rods inserted?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreg View Post
    Just noticed that Tom DiStasio seems to be the Starting Strength coach with the most experience, here. Does that include with folks who have had the fusion and rods inserted?
    One of my trainees had a spinal fusion with implants (I think she had screws inserted).