starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip: When To Do the Lifts "Wrong"

Default Rip: When To Do the Lifts "Wrong"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sad that this is a necessary clarification, but it seems like its necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Sad that this is a necessary clarification, but it seems like its necessary.
    I wouldn't classify it as sad. I'm sitting right in the middle of these thoughts in my head. I hurt my hip years ago and to this day it gets really easily irritated and the older I get (just turned 52) it easier it happens. I had a modest DL of 400 lb last year with my eyes set to 500 within a year....except my my hip just will not agree to it. But one doesn't want to be a wuss so you follow Rip's advice and keep at it....until it says FU!! Right now, I can't even get 300 lb off the floor without it screaming at me and me paying for it for days, sometimes to the point I then can't squat. I WANT to DL. I WANT to get to 500 but I am seriously thinking that injury isn't going to have it so I moved to rack pulls as they don't fuck up my hip and I can keep squatting too.

I personally thought it was a good article reminding us why we lift and what to do when you can't (not won't) do the program.

What's wrong with your hip?

What's wrong with your hip?
    With a straight bar, I have to front squat or SSB. I have had bilateral multiple shoulder dislocations, two surgeries, and I have dislocated it several times in the back squat position. Its just not worth it to risk the dislocation, so I front squat, which I dislike greatly. So I use a Safety Squat Bar most of the time. However, in the last 3 years I have trained people, I don't think I taught the front squat exclusively to anyone.

I might be wrong but it feels like a nagging injury was not really intended to fall under the exceptions permitted in the column.

Because I have a tiled floor in the garage I put a rubber pad under each plate, (I never told you this) about 1/14 inch thick, so technically for the dead lift I am getting a slight "rack pull" advantage. Am I cheating or are old guys in the later years of life allowed a few indiscretions over the strict dead lift procedure? Last year I got a 170Kg dead lift (nearly killed me) with these pads. Do you want me to go back and amend the records for those lifts and de-rate them by 10% or will you look the other way? If you allow this next time I am at the Falls I will shout you an Aussie burger.

You're shim is fine, wal.

You're shim is fine, wal.
    Well in that case do you want the recipe for an Aussie burger in case I fail to show up in your fair city? One other thing 170 Kg dead lift at a body weight of 75kg and at 66 years old in your judgement is that a reasonable outcome for your Starting Strength training model?

starting strength coach development program
    Not a bad deadlift at all, with your bodyweight being that low. Eat more hamburgers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast