starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip: When To Do the Lifts "Wrong"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not a bad deadlift at all, with your bodyweight being that low. Eat more hamburgers.
    Mark it takes a lot of work to get to those kind of weights for me as would you know and truthfully I don't think I can keep up to that level of training (3 times a week at the moment). I get sore more often as I push myself self pretty hard. Fortunately I don't have any injuries, but my shoulders ache now and then and I kind of nod off when I am sitting in the chair in the afternoon. The spirit is willing but the body does not want to come along for the ride.

Hamburgers yes I have eaten my fair share, but not those things you folk call burgers. I will give you the format for an Aussie burger with the lot whether you want it or not.

1. A proper burger bun about 6 inches in dia. Not that cake bread you folk eat.
    2. Lean beef prime mince, a heap it.
    3. Eggs 1 or 2
    4. Bacon, lots of it.
    5. Beetroot slices
    5. Slice of pineapple.
    6. Lettuce
    7.Tomato slices
    8. Opinions.
    9. Cheese slice maybe.
    10. Salt and pepper.

BBQ the meat, eggs, bacon, pineapple slice. Toast the bread on the BBQ, butter the bread will real butter. Put it together and if you really must put on some BBQ sauce.

Warning! Do not put that mayonnaise abomination on it like MacDonalds otherwise it will taste like shit. All good?

Sounds... interesting. But I keep telling you, wal, it's "folks."

Is Wal is referring to a mass or a particular set of individuals?

word choice - Should it be folk or folks? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Folk is a frozen plural. Folk in Old English means the "common people", the nation, tribe. Folks is the plural for the people of one's family, you know, the folks back home, my folks etc. When I refer to you "folk" I mean you of the nation of Texas or you folk of Wichita Falls, but who can blame you if you have stuffed up the English language somewhat, banished to that big block of land down south and isolated from the rest of the world,

Anyhow after conversing with you about food and hamburgers in particular I had to drive 40k's today to get a real "boomtown" burger because my home town is filled with Big Macks and Hungry Jacks (Burger King). So there we have it Y,all.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    I will give you the format for an Aussie burger with the lot whether you want it or not.

1. A proper burger bun about 6 inches in dia. Not that cake bread you folk eat.
    2. Lean beef prime mince, a heap it.
    3. Eggs 1 or 2
    4. Bacon, lots of it.
    5. Beetroot slices
    5. Slice of pineapple.
    6. Lettuce
    7.Tomato slices
    8. Opinions.
    9. Cheese slice maybe.
    10. Salt and pepper.

BBQ the meat, eggs, bacon, pineapple slice. Toast the bread on the BBQ, butter the bread will real butter. Put it together and if you really must put on some BBQ sauce.

Warning! Do not put that mayonnaise abomination on it like MacDonalds otherwise it will taste like shit. All good?
    Thanks for that speed run down memory lane, wal. Some 20 years ago, living in Exmouth, WA—every pub night, the Planet Burger trailer would park out on the pitch outside the pub. At closing time, the line would grow and my carry away was always "The Lot" (as described above) and a mess of chips. It sure seemed to solve the hangover issue, as the mornings after the nights that Planet Burger wasn't there always seemed to be a fair bit more painful.

Now when we describe it to Americans, they look at us like we have an arm growing out of our foreheads, especially when we mention the beetroot.

Cheers!

No worries Bill. Yep, beetroot, (do they grow that vegetable in the US?) the secret ingredient of a good hamburger. There was a time here when there was no fast food style places such as KFC, Macas or HJ's. But a lot of young kids today think a hamburger is a Big Mac or Wooper burger, how the times have changed. I remember when MacDonalds came here and I went and asked for a hamburger with the "lot" and I had to explain to them what a hamburger was, they still don't get it.

beetroot, (do they grow that vegetable in the US?)
    They sure do, although rarely will you find a place other than our kitchen that offers it on a hamburger.

I recall that most folks that would fly down to Perth would come back with eskies full of chilled offerings from those fast food chains (Hungry Jacks is "Burger King" here, as that name was already used in Oz when they tried to expand there), just because it was something different. Although after the first few bites, we'd agree that it wasn't as good as the local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    They sure do, although rarely will you find a place other than our kitchen that offers it on a hamburger.

I recall that most folks that would fly down to Perth would come back with eskies full of chilled offerings from those fast food chains (Hungry Jacks is "Burger King" here, as that name was already used in Oz when they tried to expand there), just because it was something different. Although after the first few bites, we'd agree that it wasn't as good as the local shops.
    Well Hungry Jacks do make an "Aussie" burger, but the bread is so full sugar and untoasted with what looks like a microwaved egg and bacon that I bet is imported and a small piece of anemic looking beetroot. They also pump it full of that white sauce muck, bleh! I wonder what a Chilli dog is like? I bet the bun is not toasted and has no butter on it.

I have always wanted to go to the states especially down south and have a look around, but the food, and they drive on the wrong side of the road in cars that have the steering wheel on the girls side of the car. Then they have those rabid armadillos running around (Hoover hogs) which they BBQ. How would you know if you went to lunch somewhere they might serve you feral food?

How would you know if you went to lunch somewhere they might serve you feral food?
    No different than the fresh 'roo that may have ended up in the back of the ute on the way home.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    No different than the fresh 'roo that may have ended up in the back of the ute on the way home.
    Tried Roo once, very lean, but gamey taste I thought. If you see the worms in wild Roo meat it turns you off, I thinks dogs can eat it, but not good for humans if you ingest them. Some folk (folks for you Texas folk)here will tackle emu or crocodile. I think I will stick to the chew the cud and the split hoof meat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast