starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How can i get the coaches at my local boxing gym to actually teach me?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    For Mick Coup, I would not recommend looking him up unless you have to several hours to spare for watching fighting instruction videos on YouTube . . .
    Or you hire him to teach. I don't know about now, but he's done classes in the US and UK that I'm aware of...

Was also tongue-in-cheek. He's not widely known, but his philosophy and method is 100% in line with my own experience. If you want to box, I can't help you. If you want to win in hand to hand against another human being with no rules beyond survival...

I think we might be mixing two types of “boxing” gyms. The gym that is open all day or as soon as the owner gets off his paying job and opens. A place that while it has training times, is open anytime for any member to come workout. The other is the gym that has set hours and group training. The first is my experience and a good place to learn to box (if you can find one that will train non-boxers). The second sound more like a big box fitness gym and does little actual boxing, sort of like the strip mall kick boxing chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I started boxing in my late 30's, so that meant I would never fight Amateur. I quickly learned if you're never going to be a fighter, most gyms aren't going to spend any time training you. After two gyms that just took my money, I found one that would. The only requirement was you be willing to spar on Friday nights.
    Yeah, a lot of amateur boxing gyms (at least in the UK) put most of their energy into the people that will fight for the club. They will still train you a bit, but you won't be a focus.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    As for the sparring- you won’t just “muddle through” the 100 hours of sparring, that’s not how it goes down. This is the only time you will actually be coached e.g. “You’re not stepping with the jab/you need to close the distance quicker.” The sparring is what gives you stuff to work on when you do bag work and shadow.

By far the most crucial element in how good someone becomes is how much sparring they do and how good their sparring partners are. Because that’s what boxing is. Someone whose had a lot of coaching with very little sparring will never be as good as someone whose had zero coaching but loads of sparring.

There is different kinds of sparring though. It's not always just like a mini fight. EG "For this round, you're just going to attack, and you're just going to defend." or "You can only throw jabs this round." etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345