starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How can i get the coaches at my local boxing gym to actually teach me?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I can’t stand those types of gyms. Unfortunately there’s a good amount of boxing, kickboxing and bjj gyms that spend more time on “warmups” of running, jumping jacks, push-ups, and all that bullshit than doing technique. Try to find a better gym, they are out there.
    If you want to get good at these things building that kind of fitness is essential, that's why they do it

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    If you want to get good at these things building that kind of fitness is essential, that's why they do it
    Only if you intend to compete is that kind of fitness important. As has been discussed many times, a real-ass fight in the real-ass world is over before the need for any measure of cardio fitness and endurance important. If you just want to learn some self protection skills, no.

The Gracies never did, an hour class was an hour class, warm up on your own time. The only conditioning we did at the "good" boxing gym was three minute rounds, we'd start with three rounds of shadow boxing and then most often, a round robin of focus mitts and heavy bag combinations. Or if you wanted, you could step out and go work on the speed bag. Sparring was done outside class times.

How do you know this?

You can get more than adequate conditioning work just through intense practice. Unlike a million jumping jacks, this also has the added bonus of making you better at the activity you practice, which is clearly what the OP wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Only if you intend to compete is that kind of fitness important. As has been discussed many times, a real-ass fight in the real-ass world is over before the need for any measure of cardio fitness and endurance important. If you just want to learn some self protection skills, no.
    Mick Coup is the best fight coach of all time.

Even if true, why do people who don't want to compete as boxers need to pay someone to supervise their conditioning? I don't need someone to watch me warmup on a Stairmaster, jump rope, or any of the other exercises my coach suggests that don't require any special skill to perform. My coach offers pre and post training exercises that I do on my own.

If I was training several hours a day at a true boxing gym with the goal of competing at a high level, I would follow my coaches instructions as I did when competing in college in other sports. For someone who is only interested in learning some basic skills, it makes sense to only hire those people who are willing to help with that. As Mark Hurling said here and others have stated previously, street fights are over long before someone's overall level of conditioning becomes a factor.

I am not aware of anything that supports this conclusion.

Every book and study that I have read on this comes to the opposite conclusion.

Just get in shape by doing the sport and get better by doing the drills which requires a coach that can REALLY coach (hint: most can't and I don't care what the sport is).

I can tell you that Coach Rippetoe says some of the exact same things that my judo instructor does and he is an Olympian.

Check out Peak by Dr. Anders Ericcson and Dr. Robert Poole. I was actually interviewed by Dr. Poole about this subject.

For those interested, here is some books and studies on the subject:

Peak (easy read but very interesting)
    Talent Is Overrated
    Toward A General Theory of Expertise
    The Road To Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance
    The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
    The Talent Code
    Grit - Ducksworth

Finally, these Olympian and high-level men and women think differently than normal human beings. Having been around many Olympians now, I can tell you that they are machines, there is absolutely no quit in them and if they get beat they obsess over how they got beat, what they did wrong, and how to fix it. I can't even describe how insane the thinking is, you have to see it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    Even if true, why do people who don't want to compete as boxers need to pay someone to supervise their conditioning? I don't need someone to watch me warmup on a Stairmaster, jump rope, or any of the other exercises my coach suggests that don't require any special skill to perform.
    Probably because their idea of training came directly from watching Rocky.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You can get more than adequate conditioning work just through intense practice. Unlike a million jumping jacks, this also has the added bonus of making you better at the activity you practice, which is clearly what the OP wants.
    Parts my conditioning consist of 30-60 second rounds on the speed bag and heavy bag, mixed with some other stuff in a semi-HITT fashion. Striking those two bags alone routinely gets my heart rate cooking along at 85% plus of my maximum heart rate. That could be a result of my advanced age of 70 lowering my MHR, but then again, maybe not.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast