starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grams of protein per meal

Default Grams of protein per meal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Ideally, I know it would be better to divide up my calories over many smaller meals throughout the day. However, I’m an adult and cannot eat exactly 31g of protein precisely every 2.5 hours.

I am very busy and work manual labor. I eat a small meal when I wake up, something small at lunch, then after the day has settled I eat a very big dinner. Eating big meals during the day make me sluggish, and do not really have other opportunities to eat. My concern is protein absorption. Instinctively, it seems like bullshit that anymore than X amount of protein consumed at one time is just wasted. The food is still in your stomach isn’t it?

Just wanted the opinion of a sane human being on whether consuming most of my protein at one meal is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchum47 View Post
    Ideally, I know it would be better to divide up my calories over many smaller meals throughout the day.
    How do you "know" this?

Good question, I guess I don’t really know why I think that.

I ate a big ass meal for lunch today. Several hours later, I am still burping the chicken I ate, which leads me to believe that some of the gigantic meal I ate is still in my stomach, slowly being digested by my body (consequently, the protein is being gradually absorbed).
    Cavemen spent most of their day, or even a couple of days, fasting while hunting. When they got a kill, they would eat the entire thing then and there, since preservation techniques weren't a thing back then. Yet, human beings survived so far.
    I think we'll be fine eating our big meals.

I get all the protein I need from two meals. Breakfast is one small carton of egg whites (plus one real egg), 12oz potatoes, hot sauce, and 24oz fairlife fat free milk. My next meal is usually around 2pm and it's a half-cup (dry) of white rice, a healthy portion of any meat of my choice (usually 13oz of chicken breast these days), a salad, and 24oz fairlife milk. Those two meals get me ~ 220 grams protein. Sometimes I also eat a Qwest protein bar which pushes me above and beyond. Works for me.

Such an exciting diet.

I recently went from ~230gs per day to ~350. Got stronger and lost body fat at the same time - I haven’t had that happen since I was a teenager.

Most of my meals are in the evening after work. I must shovel down ~ 280gs within a 4-5 hour window. The whole “you can only absorb X gs of protein per meal” seems like a crock of shit to me, or at least varies on an individual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    I get all the protein I need from two meals. Breakfast is one small carton of egg whites (plus one real egg), 12oz potatoes, hot sauce, and 24oz fairlife fat free milk. My next meal is usually around 2pm and it's a half-cup (dry) of white rice, a healthy portion of any meat of my choice (usually 13oz of chicken breast these days), a salad, and 24oz fairlife milk. Those two meals get me ~ 220 grams protein. Sometimes I also eat a Qwest protein bar which pushes me above and beyond. Works for me.
    Out of interest, is this literally every day? How do you keep to such specific and bland food? (I'm not criticising just interested)

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    Breakfast is one small carton of egg whites (plus one real egg)
    Somewhere in the world there's a massive excess of yolks.

starting strength coach development program
    I do the same meal 5 days a week, will soon go to 6 days. I fast for 22ish hours, then stuff down 1.5- 2 pounds of beef mince with some broth and usually some rice or spinach+bell peppers (loosely following the vertical diet for those familiar with it). Actually cut rice out last week, substituing eggs this week to try out "carnivore" for a bit. I top off my dinner with a protein shake for dessert an hour or so later.

Outside of working a mildly physical job in construction, I'm not currently training and seem to do fine without carbs.

It's not intended as a rest-of-my-life type deal, but have been doing it for months and will likely continue for months more. For the sake of science, I want to remove as many variables as I can from my diet and then implement small changes to see the effects over time.

As for the monotony of it, just a matter of discipline. Sometimes I get really wild and change up the flavor of the broth... after all, variety is the spice of life, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast