starting strength gym

Thread: Commencement of Cast Iron Cooking

Default Commencement of Cast Iron Cooking

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Happy Monday to you, Mr. Rippetoe. I have come with a question relating to Delgadillo's recent video: How to Use Cast Iron Cookware - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 1 | Nick Delgadillo. To soap or not to soap remains questionable (apparently), but my query is more general. With what brand of cast iron cookware have you had the best experience? After obliterating my mother's cheap-ass-made-in-China frying pan in an attempt to sear a steak, I need to buy her another one--preferably one that is much more hardy. Something at the 50 dollar mark would do Just Fine, but I would definitely be willing to pay more for a product made in America. Of course all thoughts are welcome, especially Mr. Delgadillo's.

Lodge is the only brand I have. There are more expensive brands, but Lodge is cheap and good quality. How did you break the Chinese pan?

If you live in Texas or otherwise have access to an HEB, they have a brand called Cocinaware that is pretty affordable and durable. I have the enameled 12" skillet and it's been good to me. With enamel, the soap question is irrelevant, but it's much heavier.

I've had mine for about a year with no problems.

While you're at it get yourself an enameled cast iron Dutch oven too, especially since braising season is upon us. And Dutch oven bread is always a treat.

I have and like several Lodge pans.

I have all Lodge and on Smithey my wife gave me as a present. Expensive but great polish. My Lodge's were all self polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    Happy Monday to you, Mr. Rippetoe. I have come with a question relating to Delgadillo's recent video: How to Use Cast Iron Cookware - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 1 | Nick Delgadillo. To soap or not to soap remains questionable (apparently), but my query is more general. With what brand of cast iron cookware have you had the best experience? After obliterating my mother's cheap-ass-made-in-China frying pan in an attempt to sear a steak, I need to buy her another one--preferably one that is much more hardy. Something at the 50 dollar mark would do Just Fine, but I would definitely be willing to pay more for a product made in America. Of course all thoughts are welcome, especially Mr. Delgadillo's.
    All of mine are Lodge. Readily available, inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How did you break the Chinese pan?
    Obliterated was an inaccurate choice of words; denatured is more representative of what actually happened. The non-stick coating was unable to withstand the heat in which I exposed it, and our DeWalt grinder would have been needed to rid the surface of the residue. However, I was uninterested in choking on the leftover metal filings...

I thank you for the recommendation, Rip and Nick, and I will be sure to get ahold of a Lodge pan soon. Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    I will be sure to get ahold of a Lodge pan soon. Cheers.
    If you're buying new, I strongly suggest buying directly from the company.