starting strength gym

Thread: Training after Subdural Hematoma

Default Training after Subdural Hematoma

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,
    My question is regarding my father. He is 69 years old, had CABG (4 arteries) at September 2017. He has Type 2 diabetes for already about 30 years, even though he was never fat at all. He weigh 68kg at 170cm. He has never strength trained (only about 4 sessions with me couple of years ago). About a month ago he fell and got a hit in the head, and about 2 weeks afterwards the symptoms of a left-frontal subdural hematoma showed up - he had hard time talking.
    After the CT scan, they inserted a catheter and drained the blood. The procedure is being considered as small and easy. Operation went good and the next CT scan showed 50% reduction in bleeding. He got released the next day. 5 days afterwards, symptoms came again.
    Anyway, at the moment he is in the hospital and having convulsions 1-3 times/day, treated with medicine. The doctor's opinion at the moment is that he's gonna get out of it and we should just wait for the blood to be absorbed naturally while treating the convulsions. The short term, he said, is not a problem. As for the long term, he said that due to his age and the diabetes, there's brain atrophy, which makes the brain smaller than the skull; that makes him very fragile regarding shaking and sharp movements of the head, due to the room between the brain and the skull.
    It will take, he said, about 2 weeks and he will back to probably 100% function.

Question is, regarding his CABG and subdural hematoma, is it safe to start strength train after he's past the subdural hematoma?
    He has Osteoarthritis in both his knees, but it definately won't kill him. Mechanically, his range of motion in both knees is not enough for the squat, but he can deadlift, press, bench press and chin. And he can also do half-squats.

I know it's tough to tell anything specific about him, but even a general opinion about training after CABG / subdural hematoma would be helpful if you happen to have such opinion.

Thank you very much in advance :-)

Not within the scope of my practice, sorry.

Okay, worthed a try. Thanks :-)