starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #77: The Running Show

Feel kinda bad for that Bushidoki guy. Now everyone can go look at his embarrassing lifting and boxing videos.

Spot on RIP, nice podcast.
    Sparky

Wow...I fared a lot better in that podcast than I expected to.

A couple of addenda, before I forget.

Ejection fraction is not the be-all/end-all of cardiovascular health. I have...three heart failure patients in the hospital now with great EF’s. Don’t get me wrong; failure with an EF of 65% is a whole lot easier to work with than it is with 25%. However, diastolic CHF is a thing.

Meb Keflezighi is an American. Won silver for us (yes, marathon) in...Athen, maybe? Also won Boston and New York. Born in Eritrea, but grew up in Cali. Apparently lives in tampa, now.

Anyways, back to my 2¢. I agree that strength training will make you a better runner, but running will not make you stronger. I could have sworn i said that from the start. Unless you have a shot at nationals in lifting, you should do both. The increase in stroke volume will do nothing but help you in the long run, and you ain’t setting any world records.

I run because I like it. I like to race, and I like to eat. I lift because it helps that and the rest of life (and I KIND OF like it). I will never be better than a middle of the pack runner, but who cares?

Unless you’re a competitive powerlifter and forsake all other things, do yourself a favor and throw in a little light cardio a couple times a week.

20 minutes a couple days a week. Whatever you think will interfere the least with your lifting....spin bike maybe? Whatever.

“Starting to feel almost like work” is hard enough. If you want to be a numbers nerd, get a heart rate monitor and aim for 180-age (take about 10-15’ to get up to that).

Dammit...sorry. By “both”, I should have said “something to get your heart rate up some and leave it there”. Doesn’t have to be running, at all.

Maybe treadmill, just because there’s no learning curve and less DOMS, but since you’re not really going to be working hard, it probably doesn’t matter all that much.