starting strength gym

Thread: Balance In The Squat - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Balance In The Squat - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I know I sound like an idiot... Could you (or someone) demonstrate this? I'm having a hard time visualizing where you're standing. Putting your shin 3 inches behind their heel....your foot is longer than 3 inches.

I swear I am not purposefully being obtuse here.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Could you (or someone) demonstrate this? I'm having a hard time visualizing where you're standing. Putting your shin 3 inches behind their heel....your foot is longer than 3 inches.
    The point is that if the coach is standing right behind the lifter, then, as the lifter squats down, the lifter cannot fall backward at the bottom position of the squat because their hips are blocked from falling back or going further backward by the shin of the coach who is standing right behind them. Accordingly, because of the blocking provided by the coach, the lifter cannot fall backward, and the lifter can get comfortable with learning how they want to keep their balance in the bottom position of the squat. The mention of putting the coach's shin three inches behind the lifter's heels is just to indicate how far behind the lifter the coach should stand. While it is true that the coach's foot will be longer than three inches, that's not a problem, since the coach can aim the toe of his blocking leg either between the lifter's heels or to the side. If you try it in the gym, that should clear up any visualization problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I know I sound like an idiot... Could you (or someone) demonstrate this? I'm having a hard time visualizing where you're standing. Putting your shin 3 inches behind their heel....your foot is longer than 3 inches.

I swear I am not purposefully being obtuse here.
    Check out Rip's demonstration in this video, which starts at the point you are asking about. Then watch the entire video.

Thanks, Bill. That helps.... A lot.

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear.

That's one of many videos around here that I get something more out of it every time I watch it. Just like every time I read the book(s), I get more out of them.