starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Convincing a psychiatrist to prescribe TRT

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m not anti-TRT, but I guess I come across that way in my posts.

If testosterone makes you feel better, and you know about the (pretty low in most cases) risks, then you should take it if you want to.

I think most doctors are conservative, in part because of the liability reasons mentioned above. There is also a bias among docs against using medicine for “enhancement” rather than to treat illness, and I think that comes into play in the case of someone with “normal” testosterone who wants TRT anyway. This is probably a blind spot for the field of medicine, which is why the TRT clinics have found a market.

Unless you live in the boonies, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone to prescribe some testosterone, but it may take a little looking. A psychiatrist is the wrong person to ask for testosterone.

My comment to the OP about the bipolar disorder was not meant to discourage TRT at all, just a reminder to be aware of the bigger picture. Fixing depression with testosterone would be great, but if someone with bipolar then stopped their mood stabilizer because the T made them feel better than they have in a long time, the results could be disastrous. Sounds like OP and his friend already know this. I just reiterate it because I see avoidable calamity on a daily basis due to poor psychiatric treatment choices.

Thanks for your response, Sully. I did want to make clear that I wasn't attacking your personal stance on TRT, and you didn't come across as anti-TRT. Your response did, however, remind me to ask the question, because I do see a lot of ambivalence about TRT.

I do also agree that a psychiatrist isn't the right person for TRT, and that whatever meds are necessary for bipolar disorder should probably be continued.

Good news! His psychiatrist had him tested, found out he was low (he didn’t get a number), and agreed with our opinion that it is very important to get his T up to par. She contacted his pcp and he’s going to begin TRT.

I told him to not accept anything other than intramuscular injections.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Good news! His psychiatrist had him tested, found out he was low (he didn’t get a number), and agreed with our opinion that it is very important to get his T up to par. She contacted his pcp and he’s going to begin TRT.

I told him to not accept anything other than intramuscular injections.
    That’s how it’s supposed to work. Sounds like your friend and his doc benefited from your encouragement. Well done. Hope things get better for him.

starting strength coach development program
    Now hopefully his regular doc knows something about TRT other than that it exists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123