starting strength gym

Thread: Diminishing Returns for Athletes

Default Diminishing Returns for Athletes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I recently listened to the "You Don't Need to Run" podcast. Reminded me of an old article you wrote, thanks for sharing the information.

In that podcast you mention that at some point, a guy who wants to be a competitive lifter and squat 675 pounds, reaches a point of specialization where other aspects of fitness are sacrificed (running). My question is how, as a coach, can you decide when an athletes' return on investment on strength training has diminished relative to getting better at his sport or another aspect of fitness, given he is already strong and will maintain that strength.

I think your answer would also be useful for those who get injured and want to know when its time to stop working back up to their previous level of strength and get back to their sport.

Thanks
    Devin

When sports practice and strength training begin to compete for time in the schedule, a decision has to be made about the time investment. Depends on the size and age of the athlete, as well as the sport and the technical demands of performance. Marathon will be different than American football.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Morrison View Post
    Hi Rip,

(running). My question is how, as a coach, can you decide when an athletes' return on investment on strength training has diminished relative to getting better at his sport or another aspect of fitness, given he is already strong and will maintain that strength.

Devin
    Most athletes train like intermediate lifters. The limited number strength gains in season eventually becomes obvious. Adding 5 pounds every week just is not happening every week.

Quote Originally Posted by bendy-legs View Post
    Adding 5 pounds every week just is not happening every week.
    As I said, it depends on the athlete. If the athlete is a novice lifter, he certainly as hell can add weight every workout.