starting strength gym

Thread: Adding the Powerclean

Default Adding the Powerclean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What are the benefits of adding the powerclean if my deadlift is still progressing every training session? I have been following NLP for 8 weeks and am adding 2.5 lbs every training session.

I'm 42 years old. 6' 204 lbs. Deadlift has gone from 125 to 195, so obviously still a long way to go.

The reasons are discussed in the blue book. If you don't want to power clean, don't power clean.

“The power clean is the best way to keep the ability to display power on pace with increasing strength.”

Thank you sir.

I am only at the end of week 6 in my NLP, but the power clean has proven very useful to my wife and I. After reading both the blue and grey books, I was really liking the example NLP from page 90-93 in the grey book. So, that is what I am doing or basically copying. We started power cleans mid week 3. Both my wife and I hated them as we just plain sucked at the movement. Now that I have gotten comfortable, I feel the power clean is my strongest lift even though I am still at light weight, it is effortless. I am currently at 145lbs 5x3. My deadlift got to 305lbs 1x5 and I was going to get 315lbs, but had a recent back issue that is causing issues.
    I wasnt even going to do PC's because i tried all the lifts before starting NLP and PW's were my worst and I hated them. Glad I went ahead and added them, as prior to my back issue I was adding 10lbs to every deadlift and 5lbs to my power cleans. I feel like getting decent at power cleans has added something that I would be lacking if I didnt do them. Part of the PC is essentially a deadlift, so in my mind they go hand in hand.