Rolling start deadlift Rolling start deadlift - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Rolling start deadlift

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    90

    Default

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Deadlifts with straps is pretty much the strongman way. One of the arguments is that on a multi-event strongman competition, there will be other events that tax grip specifically (such as farmers carries) so the grip capabilities are preserved for those events.
    It does not matter. All guys compete at the same time so straps or no straps is a fair game.

    They do this for marketing. Brings more attention if someone deadlifted 1000 pounds. It does not matter that because of huge wheels on the bar it was a rack pull.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Funnily enough I was going to ask a similar question. I watched a guy in our gym pull a triple at 625lbs. He rolled the bar and then sort of squatted back prior to lifting. The lifts looked really clean, but I wondered what the point of the squat was ?
    A lot of strongmen pull similarly. Some of them use a very wide stance for a conventional stance. Did this fella also have a wide-ish stance or maybe t-rex arms?

    Rolling works for some people. For me, it adds something else I can screw up to a lift that gives me fits anyway so I don't do it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    553

    Default

    I recall reading somewhere, not sure if it was a quote from Eddie Hall or someone commenting on him, that rolling the deadlift out allows unnaturally large lifters to get a full breath while at the bottom position. I donít know if elite/extreme achievers are the best people to ask about why they do something. Mostly, people donít know why they do things. But getting a breath makes a little sense and could be a reason.

    Since Iím not burdened by such excessive muscle as say a pro strongman, Iíll stick with the 5-step deadlift technique. I do think I know why i do it: it has been tested and refined by many smart and accomplished people before me, the rationale behind it makes sense to me, and so far it has worked for me. I feel no need to complicate things.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    697

    Default

    It's hitched and ramped (on the thighs) too.
    Surprised no one bitching about that as well.
    But then again, strongman typically allows that, like the straps.
    Lady is stronger than 95% of the men who logged in on SS.com today.

    ____________________________________

    Those presses ya'll do with the huge bar-bounce at the start, the bent knees, and the reversing bar paths are not presses either....except in your own 'league' of whatever you are calling it these days.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Now, my fizziks might not be good here. Anway...

    This reminds me of the arguments about the S-curve in the clean. Píraps the rolling-start types are trying to produce a smidge of angular velocity at the bottom of the deadlift to take advantage of the component of linear velocity in the ďupĒ direction. The ramp gets replaced with angular momentum.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    It's hitched and ramped (on the thighs) too.
    Surprised no one bitching about that as well.
    But then again, strongman typically allows that, like the straps.
    Lady is stronger than 95% of the men who logged in on SS.com today.

    ____________________________________

    Those presses ya'll do with the huge bar-bounce at the start, the bent knees, and the reversing bar paths are not presses either....except in your own 'league' of whatever you are calling it these days.
    Why do you read this board, Fulcrum? Just go away, okay?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you read this board, Fulcrum? Just go away, okay?
    Someone has to keep you check Mark. Or, do you like being surrounded by Yes-Men?

    You can't see that's its silly to get so offended by the strong-man rules when it comes to a deadlift, to say "its not a deadlift"?
    Are you of the mind-set that if one pulls Sumo in a meet, that it is not a 'Deadlift' either because is doesn't meet the SS/WFAC definition of a Deadlift?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    A lot of strongmen pull similarly. Some of them use a very wide stance for a conventional stance. Did this fella also have a wide-ish stance or maybe t-rex arms?

    Rolling works for some people. For me, it adds something else I can screw up to a lift that gives me fits anyway so I don't do it.
    Normal stance. Normal arms. It looked like he used it for the bar roll.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Lady is stronger than 95% of the men who logged in on SS.com today.
    SS attracts a lot of novices who are going to be weak. Then again, lots of people on this board have been lifting for years and have never been strong. They still like to offer advice though.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    SS attracts a lot of novices who are going to be weak. Then again, lots of people on this board have been lifting for years and have never been strong. They still like to offer advice though.
    Too right mate. Take me for example, last year at 66 years of age at about 75 Kg I did a 170 Kg dead lift so I figure that is a pretty good out come for one of the 95%. And that was without straps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •