starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling start deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Deadlifts with straps is pretty much the strongman way. One of the arguments is that on a multi-event strongman competition, there will be other events that tax grip specifically (such as farmers carries) so the grip capabilities are preserved for those events.
    It does not matter. All guys compete at the same time so straps or no straps is a fair game.

They do this for marketing. Brings more attention if someone deadlifted 1000 pounds. It does not matter that because of huge wheels on the bar it was a rack pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Funnily enough I was going to ask a similar question. I watched a guy in our gym pull a triple at 625lbs. He rolled the bar and then sort of squatted back prior to lifting. The lifts looked really clean, but I wondered what the point of the squat was ?
    A lot of strongmen pull similarly. Some of them use a very wide stance for a conventional stance. Did this fella also have a wide-ish stance or maybe t-rex arms?

Rolling works for some people. For me, it adds something else I can screw up to a lift that gives me fits anyway so I don't do it.

I recall reading somewhere, not sure if it was a quote from Eddie Hall or someone commenting on him, that rolling the deadlift out allows unnaturally large lifters to get a full breath while at the bottom position. I don’t know if elite/extreme achievers are the best people to ask about why they do something. Mostly, people don’t know why they do things. But getting a breath makes a little sense and could be a reason.

Since I’m not burdened by such excessive muscle as say a pro strongman, I’ll stick with the 5-step deadlift technique. I do think I know why i do it: it has been tested and refined by many smart and accomplished people before me, the rationale behind it makes sense to me, and so far it has worked for me. I feel no need to complicate things.

It's hitched and ramped (on the thighs) too.
    Surprised no one bitching about that as well.
    But then again, strongman typically allows that, like the straps.
    Lady is stronger than 95% of the men who logged in on SS.com today.

Those presses ya'll do with the huge bar-bounce at the start, the bent knees, and the reversing bar paths are not presses either....except in your own 'league' of whatever you are calling it these days.

Now, my fizziks might not be good here. Anway...

This reminds me of the arguments about the S-curve in the clean. P’raps the rolling-start types are trying to produce a smidge of angular velocity at the bottom of the deadlift to take advantage of the component of linear velocity in the “up” direction. The ramp gets replaced with angular momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    It's hitched and ramped (on the thighs) too.
    Surprised no one bitching about that as well.
    But then again, strongman typically allows that, like the straps.

Those presses ya'll do with the huge bar-bounce at the start, the bent knees, and the reversing bar paths are not presses either....except in your own 'league' of whatever you are calling it these days.
    Why do you read this board, Fulcrum? Just go away, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you read this board, Fulcrum? Just go away, okay?
    Someone has to keep you check Mark. Or, do you like being surrounded by Yes-Men?

You can't see that's its silly to get so offended by the strong-man rules when it comes to a deadlift, to say "its not a deadlift"?
    Are you of the mind-set that if one pulls Sumo in a meet, that it is not a 'Deadlift' either because is doesn't meet the SS/WFAC definition of a Deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    A lot of strongmen pull similarly. Some of them use a very wide stance for a conventional stance. Did this fella also have a wide-ish stance or maybe t-rex arms?

Rolling works for some people. For me, it adds something else I can screw up to a lift that gives me fits anyway so I don't do it.
    Normal stance. Normal arms. It looked like he used it for the bar roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    SS attracts a lot of novices who are going to be weak. Then again, lots of people on this board have been lifting for years and have never been strong. They still like to offer advice though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    SS attracts a lot of novices who are going to be weak. Then again, lots of people on this board have been lifting for years and have never been strong. They still like to offer advice though.
    Too right mate. Take me for example, last year at 66 years of age at about 75 Kg I did a 170 Kg dead lift so I figure that is a pretty good out come for one of the 95%. And that was without straps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast