starting strength gym

Thread: The average Standing Vertical Jump seems to be significantly LOWER than 24 inches

Question The average Standing Vertical Jump seems to be significantly LOWER than 24 inches

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark,

I love your books and videos. I started training at SS in Denver a month ago and have seen amazing results. I even have my wife and daughter's training with me at home now. Thank you for everything!

I've heard you mention in your books and in several of your videos that 24 inches is "very average" for the SVJ. My SVJ as a young man was around 32" and now that I'm older and heavier it's about 26". So I did a little research and all I can find are stats that say the average is 16"-20" and anything over 28" is elite. I also found that the average SVJ in the NBA is 28". My references are below. Could you tell me where your numbers come from? Also, what's your vertical?

Thanks,
    James

Vertical Jump Test Scores
    Average Vertical Jump for Men and Women - The Exercisers

I am 64, so my SVJ will never be tested because I've already ruptured an Achilles tendon. Yours doesn't matter either since you're old enough to have a daughter. We've been using 14" for women and 22" for men for a long time, and although I don't remember the source reference, it's at least as good as this two magazine articles you've posted. And who gives a shit about the SVJ of a 6'11" man? That's why they are tall.

The average I most commonly see for men is 18"

However, the test can be gamed.
    When standing and reaching up for the initial mark, many athletes who pride themselves on a high vertical will slouch, bend their knees a little, flex the ankles and hips slightly, or fail to fully extend the arm and shoulder to its highest extended point. They also will attempt to get away with a little hop, one step or a drop step before the jump to increase their number.
    In some studies, they even inexplicably will allow the athlete a running start to the standing vertical jump test.

All in all, the test looks like it can be gamed for about a 4" difference if the athlete sees it as important. or maybe a 6"-8" difference if the test personnel want to help the athlete game the test.

Claims of 46" are highly unrealistic, even for Micheal Jordan; The best I have seen ever recorded in a semi-reliable way is just over 41"

I may decide to risk injury to myself by unnecessarily doing a test, but I would recommend against it for everyone else who is not actively competing in athletics.
    On the other hand, maybe the main reason we are all here is just to figure out how high Rip's vertical jump is at 64.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'd sure as hell like to see video of that alleged 61" standing vertical.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The average I most commonly see for men is 18"

However, the test can be gamed.
    When standing and reaching up for the initial mark, many athletes who pride themselves on a high vertical will slouch, bend their knees a little, flex the ankles and hips slightly, or fail to fully extend the arm and shoulder to its highest extended point. They also will attempt to get away with a little hop, one step or a drop step before the jump to increase their number.
    In some studies, they even inexplicably will allow the athlete a running start to the standing vertical jump test.

All in all, the test looks like it can be gamed for about a 4" difference if the athlete sees it as important. or maybe a 6"-8" difference if the test personnel want to help the athlete game the test.

Claims of 46" are highly unrealistic, even for Micheal Jordan; The best I have seen ever recorded in a semi-reliable way is just over 41"

I may decide to risk injury to myself by unnecessarily doing a test, but I would recommend against it for everyone else who is not actively competing in athletics.
    On the other hand, maybe the main reason we are all here is just to figure out how high Rip's vertical jump is at 64.
    I remember a guy playing for Memphis in the mid-90s who was reported to have a 52" vertical. Now, he could jump out of the gym, and being much younger I was impressed by big numbers without asking pertinent questions(ie standing or not), but age is teaching me it may have been a touch exaggerated.