starting strength gym

Thread: Do I need to deadlift?

Question Do I need to deadlift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark,

I mentioned in a past post how thankful I am for the SS program and how well it has been working for me. So thanks again.

I was curious if deadlift is truly necessary. I've watched one of the SS workshops when Jim Wendler mentioned caution around the advanced planning extra deadlift volume. I've also heard Strongman Robert Oberst mention caution about doing deadlift at all. I've had some pretty gnarly lower back stiffness and hip pain that seemed to be coming from the deadlift at the end of the workout. The pain and stiffness have been somewhat corrected now that my SS coach recommended I take one day off deadlift doing alternative pulling exercises and do 85% of my heavy deadlift for 3 sets on another day, leaving only one heavy day. Considering it's the heavy day that seems to leave me hurting, would it be better to forego it entirely? Are there benefits to the deadlift that could be accomplished from other exercises?

Sincerely,
    James

Here are the videos I mentioned:
    Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts | Joe Rogan - YouTube
    Deadlift Volume with Mark Rippetoe, JIm Wendler, Reynolds, Sullivan - YouTube

The deadlift is a basic human movement: picking something up off of the ground. If you do it correctly, it is one of the safest loaded movements in the gym. Why is Robert Oberst's opinion of any interest to normal humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The deadlift is a basic human movement: picking something up off of the ground. If you do it correctly, it is one of the safest loaded movements in the gym. Why is Robert Oberst's opinion of any interest to normal humans?
    Would love to see a Rip and Robert show on this. The deadlift has totally fixed severe backpain I had. It was quite literally a barbell prescription from a physio I had then I found ss on YouTube.

Nassim Taleb: “the answers often lie in the tails”.

The correct performance of the Deadlift has helped thousands of weak old grandmothers become stronger and ALL elite Strongmen competitors become stronger ie. better performing humans in their respective endeavours whether it be the game of life or strongman competition.

Re. Oberst: his main and very stilly point about NFL strength coaches not in favour of assigning deadlifts to their athletes as some kind of validation that the Deadlift is something less than a vital exercise prescription that wouldn’t benefit most humans on the planet is irresponsible, illogical, and very annoying. And we all know the general aptitude of D1 strength coaches.....

Interesting to note that Oberst has never won a World Strongest Man title. Here’s two quotes from two multiple winners of said title:

“If you want to find how strong someone else, ask them how much they can deadlift raw” (Brian Shaw)

“There is no reason to be alive if you cannot do deadlift” (Jon Pall Sigmarsson)

Fuck Oberst. And fuck Rogan.

I don't know the details of each of Wendler's programs and I certainly don't claim to know everything he has discussed publicly about deadlifts, but at least for his advanced 531 program the prescribed deadlift volume is the same as for the squat, bench and overhead press. The program I am utilizing is a 5x5, 5x3, 5x1 workout each week for those four exercises followed by a deload week when needed. There is also an optional 3x5 workout each week at the same weight used for the 5x5 day on the easier day for each lift. Although I don't tolerate the same volume for deadlifts as I do for lighter movements, it would be a mischaracterization to say that Jim Wendler has a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because he’s been on Joe Rogan, duh!

I find it interesting that he condemns deadlifts but endorses power cleans and hang cleans.

Also that deadlifts are discussed for about 30 seconds in this ~14 minute "clip".

If I was forced to do only one movement, it would be the deadlift. Simple technique and lots of bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    If I was forced to do only one movement, it would be the deadlift. Simple technique and lots of bang for the buck.
    +1 on this point of view.

We finally got some plates in for the home gym and yesterday was the first time in many months at 225lbs for the dead. It felt sooooooo good to feel that weight again for that lift. Onward and upward.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    +1 on this point of view.

We finally got some plates in for the home gym and yesterday was the first time in many months at 225lbs for the dead. It felt sooooooo good to feel that weight again for that lift. Onward and upward.
    Yep, the only thing that keeps me from back pain is a weekly deadlift. During lockdown I started to get pain again and it was gone in a couple weeks when I could train again.