starting strength gym

Thread: Other Indicators of Strength Potential Besides Explosiveness?

Default Other Indicators of Strength Potential Besides Explosiveness?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know you've talked extensively about neuromuscular efficiency and its effect on strength training and how someone with a 35 inch vertical will likely deadlift 315 on day 1 vs someone with a 22 inch vertical deadlifting much less. However, you've also mentioned that you don't need to be explosive to be strong which is obvious because there's nothing explosive about a grinder deadlift or squat.

So my question is this: what are other major indicators of strength potential besides explosiveness?

The willingness to skip no workouts.

Then I'm strong as shit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The willingness to skip no workouts.
    Fair enough. I guess I'm just curious of the kind of strength I can expect to gain after the novice phase. I'm not overly explosive but I'm definitely above average.

I ended NLP w/ 455lbs for 5 on squat a month or so ago. What weight should I realistically be aiming for by say the end of 2021?

There are lots of factors: genetics (did you pick the right parents?), eating enough, sleeping enough but it’s been my experience that the most important factor by far in getting stronger is what Rip said, “The willingness to skip no workouts.”

Nothing else comes close.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bjvinson View Post
    There are lots of factors: genetics (did you pick the right parents?), eating enough, sleeping enough but it’s been my experience that the most important factor by far in getting stronger is what Rip said, “The willingness to skip no workouts.”

Nothing else comes close.
    Don't think that's right. My identical twin brother skips workouts all the time. Doesn't care about eating. Has shit sleep. Still is 90% as strong as I am. But when he does do his once a week or so workout, he grinds through a set of 5 squats like few others can. I think not being a pussy under the bar is far more important than never skipping a workout.