starting strength gym

Thread: Trying to help my dad out

Default Trying to help my dad out

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rip,

My dad is having some back and leg issues. I am wondering if some lightweight (and increasingly heavier) rack pulls and/or deadlifts would be a good idea for him. I have the necessary equipment at my house, if so.
    He is 70 years old and has a sedentary lifestyle. He is 6'2, 260 pounds. He was recently diagnosed with Levoscoliosis. Not long after, he has been in some extreme pain in his lower left back that shoots down into his left hamstring to just above the back of his knee. He says that when he stands up and stretches it out, he gets some relief. His doctor sent him to a chiropractor, which I'm not thrilled about. He did about 20 visits and of course nothing is better. His doctor also mentioned surgery and I got very vocal about how I felt that was a bad idea. He is also under the impression that getting out and walking would help. I figure something is pressing on a nerve, but I don't really know how to help in that regard.

Thanks,
    Alex

Is he willing to train? Or are you just asking about this for yourself?

He says he is willing to give it a shot. I think he finally has some motivation - a new grandson that he wants to be able to help take care of instead of always being stuck in a chair trying to minimize pain.
    As of now, I'm planning to start working with him on Friday and continue on a couple days a week, doing some very light weight rack pulls, squats (maybe even just air squats to see if he can do them properly), and some very light weight pressing to try to help with shoulder pain that I believe has been caused by push ups the chiropractor was making him do. I have no clue what that is all about.

Start light (don't hurt him) and progress him a little every workout 2x/week.