starting strength gym

Thread: Backwards we go

Default Backwards we go

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    NYT's article on why running may be good for you. Why Running Won’t Ruin Your Knees - The New York Times

My favorite part: The resulting data showed that people hit the ground harder while running, clobbering their knees far more with each stride. But they also spent more time aloft between strides, meaning they took fewer strides while covering the same distance as when walking. So, the cumulative forces moving through their knees over time should be about the same, the researchers concluded, whether someone walked or ran.

Yes, someone actually wrote that.

The NYT will defend their viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    NYT's article on why running may be good for you. Why Running Won’t Ruin Your Knees - The New York Times

My favorite part: The resulting data showed that people hit the ground harder while running, clobbering their knees far more with each stride. But they also spent more time aloft between strides, meaning they took fewer strides while covering the same distance as when walking. So, the cumulative forces moving through their knees over time should be about the same, the researchers concluded, whether someone walked or ran.

Yes, someone actually wrote that.
    That’s hilarious. Such logic.

This is all part of the climate change vegan soyboyification of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    That’s hilarious. Such logic.

This is all part of the climate change vegan soyboyification of America.
    "about the same" how precise

We have the guardian in the UK for soyboyification

Breathing in their clouds of smug

Hello,

I'll play ...even though now I am 100% strength training and can testify to the benefits it has given me over running (and in a much shorter time!), I can say that I was a long distance runner for 34 years, running 14 full marathons and countless half marathons/10ks/5ks, to this day I have not had any injuries or issues with my knees. No pain, no arthritis, no swelling, no nothing. I'm now 58 and still run a couple of miles every now and then when I get the "urge"! Which isn't very often.
    I will admit, I may not be the norm with regards to my running experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2sethc View Post
    Hello,

I'll play ...even though now I am 100% strength training and can testify to the benefits it has given me over running (and in a much shorter time!), I can say that I was a long distance runner for 34 years, running 14 full marathons and countless half marathons/10ks/5ks, to this day I have not had any injuries or issues with my knees. No pain, no arthritis, no swelling, no nothing. I'm now 58 and still run a couple of miles every now and then when I get the "urge"! Which isn't very often.
    I will admit, I may not be the norm with regards to my running experience.
    Consider yourself lucky. Most serious runners will end up in their 50s or 60s with knee, back, and/or hip problems.

My father smoked all the days of his adult live (at times three packs of regular Winston's a day) and never got cancer. What can we conclude by this fact, Outlier or the norm?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    My father smoked all the days of his adult live (at times three packs of regular Winston's a day) and never got cancer. What can we conclude by this fact, Outlier or the norm?
    Smoking strengthens the heart because it forces it to beat harder, like exercise. Even a full pack/day smoker spends more time abstaining than smoking, which means that the heart actually beats less, i.e. works less hard, for most of the day. So the cumulative forces on the heart should be about the same.

Makes perfect sense.