starting strength gym

Thread: Strength training the vocal cords and stuttering

Default Strength training the vocal cords and stuttering

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

At the risk of severe public humiliation I'd like to pick your brain on an unorthodox subject, which will probably have an unorthodox answer, about strengthening the speaking apparati.

I stutter when I speak, which varies in intensity based on factors I have not yet fully fleshed out.

I ask for your opinion because your methods of squatting, overhead pressing, and barbell curling (in particular) are thought to be slightly unorthodox compared to the mainstream, but have healed back and shoulder pains that I've had for years, while increasing my mobility and getting me stronger.

A brief synopsis on my understanding of the problem, is that the vocal cords get tight and "lock" on certain sounds, which doesnt seem much different than when a muscle gets tight and produces pain or limited range of motion. If I can exercise these muscles through full range-of-motion, progressively overload them like my press or deadlift, I see no reason these symptoms cannot improve too.

There is no "cure" and Im not asking for one, but I recognize your possession of a keen mind for movement patterns that safely recruit muscle mass, and was hoping to quiz you on something that may point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

It is my impression that stuttering is a neurological phenomenon, not a deficit in the vocal musculature. My impression is that barbell training has little effect on stuttering. We'll ask for input.