starting strength gym

Thread: Why only 3 pairs of bumpers?

Default Why only 3 pairs of bumpers?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I read in your article How to Build a Home Gym that you only need 3 pairs of bumpers (45lb, 35lb, and 25lb or analogous kilo versions). Could you please explain the logic here?

I was thinking you would need 10s and 5s too, since my understanding is that bumpers are designed to only withstand their own weight so you shouldn't just use 45s and then load smaller irons. I was thinking your logic was that you could indeed get away with using iron 10s and 5s. But then couldn't you do the same for 25s and 35s (maybe you're suggesting they're too heavy? But also why get 35s at all, since you can skip them as you did with your list of required iron plates.

I was thinking you need 45s and 25s, or just 45s.

35s can be dropped by themselves on the bar, where 25s should not be, since it tears them up. Home gym people are typically stronger than the weakest personal training clients, and don't need power clean options lighter than 40kg. So the 10kgs are for warmups and making up heavier loadings with other bumpers on the bar.

So if you can already power clean in excess of 135 does this change your recommendation? You would not need the 35lb bumpers?

It sounds like you could just get 45s (and maybe 25s) and use iron for the smaller plates throughout progression?

If you want to tear up your 45s, go ahead.

Safe to assume this still applies as well?

The Iron Plate Problem with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I (try to) lower cleans and deadlifts under control. No bumpers and no issues in 10 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Safe to assume this still applies as well?

The Iron Plate Problem with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I (try to) lower cleans and deadlifts under control. No bumpers and no issues in 10 years.
    Love these videos. I think my favourite is the one where rip and the other coach are running round going bezerk over 'the most important exercise' in their vests.