starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Raghavan SSC: Knee Sleeves Are Ruining Your Squat

Default Carl Raghavan SSC: Knee Sleeves Are Ruining Your Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Great article.

I didn't start using knee sleeves until I got old. Especially when it's cold in my garage, I really appreciate knee and elbow sleeves. Still, I don't use a belt or sleeves until my last warmup.

Stoic sleeves (like the ones in the picture in your article) are almost as good as SBD ones but at a much lower price.

I don't know the rules for each federation, but in the ones I'm familiar with knee wraps, unlike knee sleeves, aren't permitted in raw competitions. As someone who competes without a coach, I find that knee sleeves are easier to put on than wraps.

I'm one of those with old and trashed knees, thank you Ft. Bragg for all the loving years of heavy ruck marches and runs. I can squat pain free with sleeves, I can't squat at all without them, not even warmups. I use to wear a old pair of wrestling knee pads for a little compression and warmth and that made all the difference. Once those finally died, I tried a light weight pair of running sleeves and they serve me well.

When I went to a Gold's Gym I had to wear knee sleeves, otherwise the popping of my knees had my fellow gym-goers hitting the floor because they thought it was gunfire.

I use’em to get the muscle attachments around my knee SWEATY HOT. Never have I ever put knee sleeves on and experienced the need to dive bomb my squats. Squats are technical enough without overthinking sleeves.

All the boomers in this thread making excuses as to why the article doesn't apply to them because it intrudes on their "comfiness". I'm guessing none of you hook grip either?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I'm one of those with old and trashed knees, thank you Ft. Bragg for all the loving years of heavy ruck marches and runs.
    All the PLF's were no prob for your knees--just the running and marching?

If someone thinks they might decide to compete someday, it is worth practicing with sleeves since almost every raw competitor will be using them in competition. I was to taught to descend as fast as possible while maintaining control of the bar. How fast that is will be determined by how much weight is on the bar and how confident I am in my ability to control the eccentric part of the lift. Since I can lift more with sleeves, I have better control with them than I would without them at the same weight and therefore might be able to descend a little faster with them on. The fact that my knees feel better after a 5x5 workout with sleeves is simply a bonus.

With deadlifts, I use a double overhand grip as long as possible. Since I have large hands, I felt that a hook grip allowed me to lift more weight. After I broke my hand, I found that a mixed grip worked better. I have seen world records broken with hook and mixed grips. If someone can lift more with a hook grip, then it makes sense to get used to using one.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    All the PLF's were no prob for your knees--just the running and marching?
    I was lucky, I never had a bad jump, the closest I came was Death Jump 1982. However, since I was a commo dude, I got to jump the PRC-77 and KY-38. Add in spare batteries and all the other crap that had to go into my ruck and I was seldom under a 100 lbs, I think my high was 132 lbs. It was the run across Sicily DZ in the middle of the night with all the crap and my parachute that I blame, that and all those lovely 12 and 25 mile marches

starting strength coach development program
    Title of the article: Knee Sleeves are Ruining Your Squat

First sentence: Okay, so they’re probably not ruining your squat.

Isn't SS above clickbaity titles? The article is on the website so I assume SS approves. I'm used to clickbait everywhere else on the internet, but not here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast