starting strength gym

Thread: Block mason back issues

Default Block mason back issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I made a career switch to a block mason two months ago after moving to Florida and have some concerns about my long term lower back health.

My lower back has been mildly hurting for the last couple of weeks so I’m trying to take my deadlift volume down as low as I can and still make progress, but even the press is aggravating it. I shouldn’t have waited this long but I finally ordered a belt and plan on using it for all my lifts, but I am also wondering if I should stay away from very high intensity too. My best progress is with high intensity rotating 3,2, and 1s on a four day split, but I’m concerned my back is compromised enough to get injured by weights I wouldn’t be worried about normally. I’m just looking for any ideas or how you would program someone in this situation.

My current plan is wearing a belt for all warmups and lifts and doing my intensity day on Monday when I am freshest. Am I correct in assuming it’s mostly volume not intensity I want to be careful of?

Work is probably aggravating your back. Make sure you handle the block with an extended lumbar, not in flexion the way most people do. Do not rotate in flexion under a load. And make sure that your pants are not grabbing your thighs and contributing to the lumbar flexion -- your pants have to allow the hip extension that keeps the lumbar flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Work is probably aggravating your back. Make sure you handle the block with an extended lumbar, not in flexion the way most people do. Do not rotate in flexion under a load. And make sure that your pants are not grabbing your thighs and contributing to the lumbar flexion -- your pants have to allow the hip extension that keeps the lumbar flat.
    Thanks rip, will do. I also found the video on how to pick things up and it was very helpful as well.