starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball bat swing speed

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    He said it's okay to post. His name is Anthony Maldonado. He's in the Marlins organization. His Instagram is @anthonymaldonado40. He's currently in Puerto Rico for the upcoming winter ball season. He faced his first live batters yesterday in a scrimmage yesterday; faced 6 batters, had 1 flyout, 5 strikeouts, and threw only 20 pitches. He was sitting 93-94mph on fastball velocity. 94 is the best he's done in games. His usual top end in practice is 90-92, so he was throwing a bit harder. He thinks it would translate to 95-96 in-game.

Steve, this might be a dumb question, but how was bat speed measured?
    Did they use a "radar gun" like they used to use in baseball to measure velocity of pitches?

I am hoping it is off the shelf equipment with an iphone app.
    I would be interested in measuring volleyball hitter's power by the velocity of the hit. If I can show some of these v-ball outside hitters their increase in hitting speed from one season to the next based on their associated increase in strength between seasons....that is the data points I need. Granted, a lot of variables go into the velocity of the hit but if it can be quantified I want to do it.
    Any info is appreciated on how you measured it.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Steve, this might be a dumb question, but how was bat speed measured?
    Did they use a "radar gun" like they used to use in baseball to measure velocity of pitches?

I am hoping it is off the shelf equipment with an iphone app.
    I would be interested in measuring volleyball hitter's power by the velocity of the hit. If I can show some of these v-ball outside hitters their increase in hitting speed from one season to the next based on their associated increase in strength between seasons....that is the data points I need. Granted, a lot of variables go into the velocity of the hit but if it can be quantified I want to do it.
    Any info is appreciated on how you measured it.
    I use the Blast Baseball tech. You can check it out here. Baseball Swing Analyzer - Video Analysis | Blast Motion. However, for volleyball, you should check out Pocket Radar. Volleyball Radar Gun – Improve Your Volleyball Serve & Hitting - Pocket Radar Inc.. It'll give you the data you need.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mouzon View Post
    He said it's okay to post. His name is Anthony Maldonado. He's in the Marlins organization. His Instagram is @anthonymaldonado40. He's currently in Puerto Rico for the upcoming winter ball season. He faced his first live batters yesterday in a scrimmage yesterday; faced 6 batters, had 1 flyout, 5 strikeouts, and threw only 20 pitches. He was sitting 93-94mph on fastball velocity. 94 is the best he's done in games. His usual top end in practice is 90-92, so he was throwing a bit harder. He thinks it would translate to 95-96 in-game.
    Thanks a lot, Steve! It’ll be a lot of fun to follow his performance this year. I can’t wait to see how he does.

starting strength coach development program
    The speed is great, but I’d expect his resistance to injury to increase as well as his connective tissue adapts to the stress as his muscles did. Awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12