starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #82: The History of Starting Strength

Default SS Radio #82: The History of Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Fun piece. Two things. 1) Being from up North I am fascinated by that F5 tornado. Good lord. Sounds like it ruined a section of town.
    Do you remember that thing roaring through town?

2. I also got a paper rejected by a peer review consisting of people who are not up to the task. The responses infuriate me. It clearly demonstrates they do not know the subject. Did you ever reply back to the reviewers to “set them straight’? Should I let it go or attempt to “educate” these people?
    (I think I know the answer but its tough to let it go.). History has proved you right and the reviewers wrong, so that’s probably enough satisfaction for you. I don’t have that luxury right now,

1. I watched the whole thing from outside in a parking lot 1/2 mile away.

2. Has it been your experience that people assigned to sit in judgement over your work can learn anything from it?

Second that about history proving you right. And 100% spot on regarding the statement that one's body changes (for the better) when the lifts increase. I felt the need to write in because you pretty much described my experience (and some of my numbers) and wanted to share it as another data point to hopefully sway some of the skeptics in the SS direction.

I am not a young man or terribly athletic by any stretch of the imagination. Starting at 5' 8 1/2" 167lbs., I'm what you've described as a "little guy." But with proper programming/coaching/eating/sleeping and most importantly COSISTENCY (I've missed maybe 5 workouts since June 2019 due to unavoidable circumstances), I've taken my STRICT Press from 95 for 5s to 187 for singles, Bench from 150 for 5s to 270 for doubles and gained 21lbs (I'm now 187) of mostly lean mass. Not terrible for 17 months work for a 39-year-old with shitty genetics who can't squat, a bad back and no vertical jump. Seriously, I can't even come close to touching net, let alone rim. Four exercises for me guys, that's it: Press, Bench, DL/Rack Pull, Chins (and occasional attempts at squats). Keep it simple, consistent and challenging.

And to dispel the need-to-do-barbell curls, cardio and abs fallacy: I've gained about 1.5" on my arms without doing 1 curl; I have fairly visible, but very thick abs without trying or doing 1 sit-up, or running 1 mile; I've gone up 2 suit sizes and about to make it 3; not to mention nothing else fits either. And most importantly for those of you who have this as a motivation: the fairer sex has taken extreme notice and I've received several compliments and my wife tells me more than enough second glances and flirts for her liking. (She squats and pulls too btw and loves the way she looks compared to her "only running" days) My point: women don't particularly want the beta-male 10-pack abs look. Burly and powerful is in guys. Embrace it.

I only wish is I knew about this method 15-20 years ago when my body was still intact and I could've done "the program" properly. Lord only knows the strength that could have been.

Keep up the great content. It's much appreciated.

Mark, you mentioned adding the press into your programs much later. How much later? Did you teach power cleans early on, or did those come later too?

Great video and very informative, thank you. I especially enjoyed you allowing us to see into how and why the program has developed as it has. The transcript from this alone would make a good supplement to your book.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Mark, you mentioned adding the press into your programs much later. How much later? Did you teach power cleans early on, or did those come later too?
    Power cleans have always been in the program. I started using presses about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Power cleans have always been in the program. I started using presses about 20 years ago.
    You stated that you were a power lifter, but you have what seems to be a very strong understanding of the Olympic lifts. Is this from your time with starr and suggs, were they the ones who taught you the Olympic lifts, and did you ever compete in any Olympic meets? I’ve seen you have quite the setup for the quick lifts at wfac.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ....I started using presses about 20 years ago.
    How did you come to realize that the press must end with a shrug to avoid impingement?

I have bamboozled a couple of PTs with that pearl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast