starting strength gym

Thread: Deadstopped squats and other

Default Deadstopped squats and other

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip and everybody.

1) I read in your SS about the "deadstopped" squat variant (similar to box squat but with bar stopped on rack pins at bottom): i like this variant because it's impossible to cheat with depth (in last reps of heavy sets of normal squat I tend to go deep not enough - it's something common I think and "unconscious"). I'm thinking to start from top, stopping the bar at bottom at full depth (not a partial squat) -- the depth I usually reach in first good reps of my heavy normal squats -- and go up without bouncing on the pins. I tried it and can lift about 10% less than normal squat (for 5 reps). In an intermediate program like TM could be a not so bad idea to use it in volume and light days? Or only in light days?

2) What about doing only shoulder presses and not benching in my first intermediate program using TM? That because OP is absolutely my weakest movement. I could do:

Monday 5x5 OP
    Wednesday 3x3 Push Press with same weight of Monday (it's light day)
    Friday 1x5 (or 1x3) OP

Thanks as usual.

1. If you're going to do this, it will have value only if it improves your ability to get deep on all the reps of your other squat workouts, so just do it on light day. The point is to fix your other days' squats, and to fix them you have to keep doing them.

2. The bench press strengthens the press. Your press will get stronger if you do it M-F and bench press Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. If you're going to do this, it will have value only if it improves your ability to get deep on all the reps of your other squat workouts, so just do it on light day. The point is to fix your other days' squats, and to fix them you have to keep doing them.

2. The bench press strengthens the press. Your press will get stronger if you do it M-F and bench press Wednesday.
    Thanks for the clear answers.

About 2) I think the BP on Wed would be a max effort of 3 sets of 5 reps or similar, not a "light" bench workout. Is it right?

2. Exactisimo.