starting strength gym

Thread: IT Band + Right Knee Valgus with a little foot pronation

Cool IT Band + Right Knee Valgus with a little foot pronation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip, new to the forum and still in the NLP program. Your books are incredible and have helped me immensely; your cue for deadlifting with lifting shoes got the bar back over my midfoot.

This question is a bit different and I have a hard time articulating it, so please bear with me. I searched the forum and could not locate something like this.

Brief Overview
    I am at a crossroads and I have no idea what to do. Around 7 years ago I started to have some dysfunction in my right leg. I was unable to run properly due to knee and hip pain, walking became uncomfortable, and certain exercises caused pain in my knee.

I went to a physical therapist for a few months and it didn't quite help. Perhaps I could have done those clam shells a bit more.... Now, I HAVE watched your video "Is Physical Therapy Fraud?" I agree with your stance and was beginning to notice issues with their approach during my 2020 return to the PT office.... I spent ~$500 this year in visits and still have issues.

The Issue
    The issue is outside knee pain, hip/psoas discomfort, and a seemingly significant misalignment on the right side of my lower body. I sag or lean to the right, and my right arm tends to press more closely to my body than my left side. In a recline, or in bed, I'm always cocked like 10-15 degrees. This makes me think it's some kind of pelvis issue.

Can you help me figure out how to fix this problem? If a section of your book can answer the mail, then I'll be happy to look there. I can say that following your lifting technique has alleviated the chronic nature of the pain. There are no complications when I squat, sometimes when I deadlift if my knee/psoas is acting up.

List of Symptons/Issues
    Please see the following list of issues:
    • In a standing position, my right shoulder sits lower than my left
    • My Right foot pronates unless I consciously restrain it
    • My right knee follows and goes valgus
    • Running and walking (with weight; farmers walk) tends to strain the outside of my right knee, leading to dull or sometimes sharp pain.
    • My right hip, where the IT band attaches snaps or pops. I can get it to move inward and outward based on my leg position and knee rotation
    • My Psoas seems to be tight and is uncomfortable
    • The recommended squat position from your book makes the squat a doable exercise given the above; I DO NOT valgus during the squat.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,
    Ryan

Sounds like you've had a stroke. How old are you?

Hahaha. Yeah maybe. I did get my nose busted and concussed while boxing around the time this became a problem.

I'm 34 now.

I wrote this dissertation to you because im losing my damn mind that I can't fix this problem and that I wasted good money on PT.

This was a long shot, but I figured the cunning and wise Rip would say something like: keep squatting and you'll fix your sh*t.

If your entire right-hand side is compromised, it might be prudent to get this looked at. Doesn't sound orthopedic.

Thanks, Rip. I appreciate it.