starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #83: Testosterone Optimization Therapy with Jay Campbell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The issue may well be that a certain value may be enough for one man, but inadequate for another. Within medicine we seem to have some very unusual priorities. Moribund elderly patients are fed a cocktail of medication to keep them alive despite their quality of life being non existent, but middle age men are made to feel they are overdemanding by trying to preserve their quality of life. Can you imagine this level of scepticism towards HRT? How about towards gender reassignment!

If we got tested, what do we ask for? I don't recall that coming up. What specific test do we ask the PCP for?

Ask to have your testosterone level checked. The labs will unfuck the PCP's orders.

Finally finished watching the episode today, was very informative. The guest seemed to REALLY know his stuff on this subject. I was surprised to learn about how the aromatization is actually important for maintaining health. The conventional wisdom I've seen for so long was that aromatization is bad and you don't want that extra estrogen. One thing I would've been interested to hear from the guest about though are his thoughts on Clomiphene Citrate treatment. I currently take that for a low-T diagnosis, it was recommended since I'm a younger guy and may want to try and have some kids (god knows how I'll be able to stomach doing that the way the world seems to be going). I've definitely seen a marked increase since starting on it, both in symptoms abating and in the levels measure in serum testing. I'm curious what the guest would say about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth, but it does happen to 20 year olds.

At the age of 26, I was depressed, sex drive was down, I was tired all of the time, distracted, and I couldn't focus.
    I insisted my doctor get me tested, and it came back at about 250ng/dl. She wanted to get another test, so we did that, and it came back 243ng/dl.

But Rip's description of depression versus what he calls aggression is absolutely right. I would call it depression versus action, but that semantic discrepancy largely doesn't matter. It's like you're not in your body. You're just watching your body exist. I have memories of dissociating and thinking if I cut my hands with a knife, I wouldn't feel it because they weren't my hands.

Depression is not contentment - you're not ok with lying facedown on the living room floor for hours. You just feel that an alternative to that wouldn't be any better.
    Simply existing is not sufficient to be human. That's why this government response to the pandemic has received such a backlash from people who choose to live instead of just exist.

If you're symptomatic, get tested. At the minimum, it doesn't hurt to know where you stand if you choose not to get treatment.
    I get what you're talking about. I don't have those symptoms now but I did live with them for a couple years when I was even younger (18-20), depression, crying myself to sleep, probably ocd symptoms as well, mood swings. I'm in a much more stable position now, but I still feel like I'm not 100% okay and have some issues to solve, but it's not the same helpless, disabling feeling I used to have every day, it's like there something in the back of my mind that I need to solve or get out, I'm almost the opposite of the emotional disturbed mess I used to be a few years ago, I never cry, but I never FEEL good feelings too, like sometimes I know I'm supposed to feel happy but it's a weird bittersweet kinda happiness, like it's not supposed to happen. This pandemic hasn't helped. A few weeks ago I had something similar to a panic attack, which never happened to me, totally out of the blue, and ever since I sometimes have that "out of body" experience you describe, as if I'm just witnessing whatever is happening. But I keep telling myself it's just the situation we are all in (I'm also alone all the time except for seeing my girlfriend every other weekend) and I just have to get through it, which is easier said than done, but it's still a positive thought. I guess it's the thought of all of this feeling unreal and not being able to picture or predict the near future, which is something that would make anyone anxious I think (as you said, simply existing is not enough)
    Thanks for sharing, and I'll definetely get my testosterone checked just out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Finally finished watching the episode today, was very informative. The guest seemed to REALLY know his stuff on this subject. I was surprised to learn about how the aromatization is actually important for maintaining health. The conventional wisdom I've seen for so long was that aromatization is bad and you don't want that extra estrogen. One thing I would've been interested to hear from the guest about though are his thoughts on Clomiphene Citrate treatment. I currently take that for a low-T diagnosis, it was recommended since I'm a younger guy and may want to try and have some kids (god knows how I'll be able to stomach doing that the way the world seems to be going). I've definitely seen a marked increase since starting on it, both in symptoms abating and in the levels measure in serum testing. I'm curious what the guest would say about it though.
    From my own research, there CAN be too much estrogen in your system, but the way to fix that is to lower your test dose, not to add an AI. I touched base with one of the recommended clinics, curious to know how much it costs.

Another great podcast. I actually started on the cream which got me over 1,000, but didn’t really have much affect other than raise my lab numbers. That PCP at the time also put me on an SSNRI which saved my life...literally. Now unfortunately the Cymbalta is so damned hard to wean off of I’ll likely be on them forever.

I’ve since moved and was unable to find a PCP or Endo that would treat me. 300 to them was “normal” for a 39 yo male. Similar to the stories you guys are telling, I was so depressed I could barely get out of bed to go to work, libido was crap and didn’t even want to touch weights to train. This didn’t phase the doctors...but they know better “because they’re doctors.”

Was lucky to find a HRT center close by that pushes the pellets and injectable. I actually felt really good on the pellets within a week. Libido off the chart, was in the gym training and making great progress 4x/week. Downside was, like Rip mentioned, the procedure doesn’t need to be done by a Dr. An N.P. did mine and hacked me up something awful. I literally couldn’t roll over on my ass cheek for 3 weeks and couldn’t squat or sit correctly for the same length. And yes it is $1,000 more expensive per year for this torture.

I complained and had them switch me to Test Cypionate; and saved $1,000 as well. I currently inject myself sub-cu in the belly 2x a week. It’s a no-brainer guys. If you can afford it, do it. You won’t regret it. You’ll actually wish you did it 10 years ago.

I didn’t know about the 3x/week dosing. Perhaps I’ll adjust my dose and spread it over 3 days and see what happens.

Oh and Rip, was thinking about acceptable times to cry. How about on 1/20 when they swear Biden in and again 6 months later when Harris is sworn in to replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth, but it does happen to 20 year olds.

At the age of 26, I was depressed, sex drive was down, I was tired all of the time, distracted, and I couldn't focus.
    I insisted my doctor get me tested, and it came back at about 250ng/dl. She wanted to get another test, so we did that, and it came back 243ng/dl.

But Rip's description of depression versus what he calls aggression is absolutely right. I would call it depression versus action, but that semantic discrepancy largely doesn't matter. It's like you're not in your body. You're just watching your body exist. I have memories of dissociating and thinking if I cut my hands with a knife, I wouldn't feel it because they weren't my hands.

Depression is not contentment - you're not ok with lying facedown on the living room floor for hours. You just feel that an alternative to that wouldn't be any better.
    Simply existing is not sufficient to be human. That's why this government response to the pandemic has received such a backlash from people who choose to live instead of just exist.

If you're symptomatic, get tested. At the minimum, it doesn't hurt to know where you stand if you choose not to get treatment.
    That whole thing actually reminded me of my adolescence. There were so many instances where I felt like I was inside my body screaming at it to do something and stand up for myself but nothing would happen. I'd just instinctively roll over and let even people I could almost certainly have bested in a fight do whatever they wanted. Back then even I wanted to look into hormonal issues but Dr. Dumbass told me it wasn't an issue. This was the same guy who also told me no matter how hard I tried lifting weights I'd never achieve a bodyweight much higher than 200 pounds. I'm now approaching 300 on an empty stomach and am probably still south of 25% BF. Fuck that guy.

34 y.o. Swiss resident here.

3 years ago I got myself tested for testosterone. I was told everything was within the normal range.

Result: 11.9 nmol/l. Reference range is 8.64-29.

This converts to something like 374 ng/dl, if my math is correct. There's no distinction between total and free testosterone, so I assume it's total. By now I'm pretty sure I'm lower than that.

I have been depressed for years, every alternative action I can think of as opposed to just sit in my apartment messing around just doesn't seem worth it. Except for barbell training if I can muster enough determination, since I got a home gym. But I'm on welfare, meaning no work, no social life. I probably won't be able to get testosterone replacement here. In other words, I'm fucked.

Anyway, thanks for putting out the video. I'll give the TRT bible a go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast