starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #83: Testosterone Optimization Therapy with Jay Campbell

Default SS Radio #83: Testosterone Optimization Therapy with Jay Campbell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Very interesting episode!
    I heard about TRT from you and other sources and am glad you guys took the time to dive deeper into it.
    I wanted to ask, what's the probability, in your experience, that a man in his 20s might need this? Are the symptoms and causes always the same or do they differ person to person?
    I'll read Jay's book, but I would also like to hear your opinion on this.

This really was “The Most Important Podcast” , Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I wanted to ask, what's the probability, in your experience, that a man in his 20s might need this? Are the symptoms and causes always the same or do they differ person to person?
    It's unlikely, but it happens.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm 37 and don't seem to be having any of the problems you describe yet, but goddamn if this doesn't apply to a bunch of guys in their forties and fifties that I know. The psychological thing. I never even thought about this shit, for a layman, all you hear about testosterone is that it's used by steroid junkies who develop bitch tits and never get an erection.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

That was a great podcast rip.

I went back through my old path results from 2 years ago as I tried to get on T in Australia however the doctors here mimic the same bullshit as they do in the US.
    43 years old
    Testosterone 16
    Free Test 380
    SHBG 24
    Oestradial 137

The oestradial one seems to be the that's really out of whack which may explain why I don't have any curly haired kids running around out there and why I have such thick, luscious hair. Though the path results say the "normal" levels are <150 other sources say it should be 0-40pmol/L. I will start to find a doctor who's a bit more sympathetic, thanks for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    This really was “The Most Important Podcast” , Thank you.
    I had to come back for a second comment. Such a profound episode this one for me. I’ve seen GP’s, endocrinologist, urologist over the last few years, always told the same thing, my T levels are within normal range. (who cares about symptoms right !?). They have varied between 170 to 290 for total T. Avg 240. (54yrs)
    Fucking wankers !!

I had to come back for a second comment. Such a profound episode this one for me. I’ve seen GP’s, endocrinologist, urologist over the last few years, always told the same thing, my T levels are within normal range. (who cares about symptoms right !?). They have varied between 170 to 290 for total T. Avg 240. (54yrs)
    Fucking wankers !!
    170 ain't normal. Granted you're older, but at 35 when I went to an endocrinologist and they tested me and got 170, they said I needed to get that treated for sure. I think I actually have some kind of inherited testosterone issues. There is a pattern of weird sex hormone issues from my dad's side of the family. My paternal grandmother insisted she didn't get her first period until she was in her 20s. I know my Uncle has had T issues he got treated, and my dad shows SERIOUS symptoms of test deficiency. But there's no way in hell I could talk him into it being an issue, especially with the downward creep of the reference ranges they talk about in the episode. It's like they want men to be miserable, it's sick.

Fucking wankers !!
    Wankers is an old-school insult.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Very interesting episode!
    I heard about TRT from you and other sources and am glad you guys took the time to dive deeper into it.
    This is just my experience, so take it for what it's worth, but it does happen to 20 year olds.

At the age of 26, I was depressed, sex drive was down, I was tired all of the time, distracted, and I couldn't focus.
    I insisted my doctor get me tested, and it came back at about 250ng/dl. She wanted to get another test, so we did that, and it came back 243ng/dl.

But Rip's description of depression versus what he calls aggression is absolutely right. I would call it depression versus action, but that semantic discrepancy largely doesn't matter. It's like you're not in your body. You're just watching your body exist. I have memories of dissociating and thinking if I cut my hands with a knife, I wouldn't feel it because they weren't my hands.

Depression is not contentment - you're not ok with lying facedown on the living room floor for hours. You just feel that an alternative to that wouldn't be any better.
    Simply existing is not sufficient to be human. That's why this government response to the pandemic has received such a backlash from people who choose to live instead of just exist.

If you're symptomatic, get tested. At the minimum, it doesn't hurt to know where you stand if you choose not to get treatment.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 11-21-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast