starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Cafe Classics: Hamburger Steak

What about the accoutrements, you know the salad and tomato sauce. Next time what showing us how to make those Sopapillas and green chilli burgers?

Those items you mentioned were not served in a Texas Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Those items you mentioned were not served in a Texas Cafe.
    Well apart from the burger steak you must have had eggs, bacon. Here back in the old days we used to be able to get at an Aussie cafe a thing called a mixed grill, which had a piece of steak, bacon, beef sausage, eggs, lamb's fry (liver), pineapple and beetroot with chips (fries), have you anything like that in a Texas Cafe?

Your story about your Dad reminded about my Grandmother, she used to make her own mince, she had a hand grinder that she would to fit to the kitchen table, it had a hand crank and you could change the size of the grind.

As you would know back in the 50's you could not buy mince, no such thing as lean, extra lean. No take away, if you did not cook it you did not eat. Sunday lunch was chicken with baked spuds and pumpkin with gravy, the real stuff that had fat in it. The chicken came from the back yard, Grandad would catch one and we use to watch it run after he cut the head off. If you told the kids today that go to MacDonald's how the chickens are slaughtered or where the beef comes from for their big macs, well MacDonald's would probably go broke over night. Enough reminiscing.

Anyhow you could show us Aussies how to make those cinnamon sugar coated fried bread things and how to make a green chilli burger. If you get time of course. When you retire you could set up down town "Rip's Kitchen", has a nice ring to it. You could have the, "Squatter's Pie", the "Barbell Burger" and the "Dead Lift Burger" for the big eaters, well you get the drift.

Daddy made pickled beets every week. But we didn't put them on anything but the plate.

Daddy made pickled beets every week. But we didn't put them on anything but the plate.
    Mark don't you ever go to bed? It must be 0200 over there at the moment. Yep had pickled beet and other stuff as well as preserved fruit from our fruit trees, back before refrigeration that was how we kept food from spoiling, salt, pickling and preserving. As I said somewhere before beetroot was part of a "Aussie" style burger.

Did your dad's clothes smell like the restaurant, even after being washed?

My dad's work clothes smelled like fried food, permanently. He and his brother had a small fried chicken and seafood place for 42 years here in Tampa.

Yeah they did, Mike. He did too. It didn't smell bad to me.

Yeah they did, Mike. He did too. It didn't smell bad to me.
    The last couple of years (dad was 60yo), he hated it. Worked like a dog, harder than he worked when he was 25. Unreliable help too. He was ready to close up, and they did, on their own terms too. He passed away 2 years after the restaurant closed. But he never missed the restuarant.....but missed the people/customers.

I too remember the griddle, where they made all their burgers and heated up cuban sandwiches. I never once tried to clean it at the end of the day Was too scared of severe burns....(was a wimp back then). But was always mesmerized watching Dad/Uncle George clean it up. 15 minutes before closing at 9pm....

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, running a commercial kitchen is damned hard work. I was a pussy, couldn't even stand the thought of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast