starting strength gym

Thread: Don't Beat Yourself Up With Volume - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Don't Beat Yourself Up With Volume - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I need to heed your advice, no sense going into a WO feeling good then feeling like shit for the next 2 days. Thanks for telling it like it is. Your talking about M.E.D. is what its all about for us geezers, I'll be 71 next month and need to realize this.

Rip: RPE is for pussies! Don't be a pussy! Also Rip: It's OK to cut your volume. Volume kills! You don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Wondering if perhaps RPE might be a solution for us old folks. But there I go talking sense again, no place for that here. :-)

If you want to plan your workouts on the way up to your work sets based on your warmups, go ahead. Just enjoy your training.

Quote Originally Posted by grimtrigger View Post
    Rip: RPE is for pussies! Don't be a pussy! Also Rip: It's OK to cut your volume. Volume kills! You don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Wondering if perhaps RPE might be a solution for us old folks. But there I go talking sense again, no place for that here. :-)
    If I relied on RPE, I would rarely get to my deadlift work sets as my final warm up single almost always feels impossibly heavy. But, since I program based on what I've done previously, taking into account my age and experience, I follow what's written down for the day and do what was planned. It's worked out for me so far, as I'm 59 and pulled 519 in a competition this past October. I deadlift (roughly) once a week through a (roughly) 3-week cycle, doing a single set of five the first week, a triple at a higher weight the next and finally a heavier single the third week, then start over at a slightly higher weight. Same with squats (not on the same day as deadlifts); 3 sets of 5, then 3 sets of 3, then 3 singles. Keeps volume at a reasonable level while pushing intensity. (Thank you to BBRx for the programming!) And I try to do my best to ignore how heavy the warm-ups feel, because experience tells me I can lift more than I feel I can.