starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck after NLP

Default Stuck after NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe,
    thanks for all the work you're doing and still taking the time to answer some questions. I enjoy all of it fromm cooking to training.

I've done the novice linear progression about a year ago. My squat got up to 120kg, deadlift 130kg, press 60kg, Bench Press 87.5kg (all of them 5 reps). I am 6'3 (192cm) and my weight went from 100kg to 120kg. At this numbers I hit a terrible wall and I couldn't go any higher even after a -10% reset on the lifts. Eventually I needed to stay out of the weight room for two months. When I got back my Squat was about 80kg, Deadlift 100kg, Bench Press 60kg, Press 45kg. So I restarted NLP and got to Sq: 90, DL:110, PR: 55kg, BP:75kg. But now I am stuck on those weights again. It especially bothers me that those weights are lower than after the first NLP run. I think I am eating much, but my perception on this could be wrong.
    Right now I do the two workouts per week, you recommend for old guys in practical programming for strength training. How do you think I should proceed?

Thanks in advance
    Kai

Thanks, I already read those, but you recommending them to me in response to my specific situation rang a different kind of bell. Before I thought: Pfff, that’s not me.

It's you.

I'd recommend you get together with a coach to help you with your programming. I was fortunate enough to live near a SSC, actually a couple of them and they have been very helpful. Personally I'm partial to Nick D'Agostino. He doesn't live near me anymore but I consult over the internet and he's been able to dial in a program that is helping me continue along the NPL path but compensate for my age and body type. I have never felt better lifting in the weight range and starting to bust through some of the sticking points I hit following the novice path. I'm in no way an intermediate, but maybe an old novice, hahaha.

You haven't said you "old" you are, I'm 58 and I can tell you that's old for trying to keep up with the young kids, hahaha. Get a coach working on both your form but also your programming as you work to continue your NLP.