starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids running track

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My recommendation is to pull the kids out of high schools sports altogether. More harm than good there. Find a club track organization, they are quite often better than the government schools.

Low back strength is far more important for sprinting. Think about what happens during the stride.
    This is my belief as well. So many kids are fucked up by school coaches. I assure you my son will be good at powerlifting because he is so thin and is serious about lifting. And I assure you some coach in high school will try to get him to stay lightweight to stay competitive. School sports do damage to a lot of kids.

Sorry.... I can't edit the post below....

EDIT: my calves and side of calves look a d are stronger after 6 months vs 30 years of running.

Also, track ends... Kids should take 2-4 weeks off of running completely. Then, very easy running 5x/wk...3-5 miles (very easy running). That will build over the summer. But just long slow distance.

Add the lifting when that 5x/wk running is occurring and keep it through summer (lift 2x/wk). Then when season starts, make adjustments. Prob have to go to 1x/wk lifts (Tuesday?... Races on Saturday). And begin introducing speed work to peak at end of season meets.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    One thing I've noticed is how much stronger my calves, and 'outside of the calf' look, after 3 decades of running.

While I don't assume my times would be faster bc of that, I can only imagine how the increase in my entire posterior chain will improve things.

I remember reading an article several years ago called the holy grail of speed training or speed? Anyways it was a huge proponent of DLs

Also, track ends... Kids should take 2-4 weeks off of running completely. Then, very easy running 5x/wk...3-5 miles (very easy running). That will build over the summer. But just long slow distance.

Add the lifting when that 5x/wk running is occurring and keep it through summer (lift 2x/wk). Then when season starts, make adjustments. Prob have to go to 1x/wk lifts (Tuesday?... Races on Saturday). And begin introducing speed work to peak at end of season meets.
    I just think 7 full workouts (5 runs, 2 lifts) a week is too many and as likely to hurt as it is to help.

The huge advantage of strength training is that there are far fewer factors to balance. Weight increase, reps, sets, rest, number of lifts per session, that's about all there is to play with or mess up. With running, the factors are so wide-ranging and hard to control. Are my runners worn out because they did a hill workout? Does that mean they need to do fewer times up the hill, lower intensity on a longer hill, higher intensity on a shorter hill? You could go on forever. Slap together running and strength training and the math is impossible.

I do think strength training would be of tremendous benefit to most young athletes, and it's very underrated in distance runners. I think a common source of injury in distance runners is a huge strength imbalance between the quads and hamstrings. I just think the way to go is to do one for a stretch, then the other, rather than both at once.

Good advice Rip. Pull the kid out of High School sports. That should clear it up

7 in a week may be too much..... But I would say that an easy 3M run for a CC runner is not much of a problem at all. First month or so, all very easy runs. Nothing taxing like hills, etc.

Hell, I'm 45, and I *could* run 3 miles a few hours after my SS training. I don't do that, of course.

But my main point was that these kids could strength train 2x/week and still easy run a bit during off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Good advice Rip. Pull the kid out of High School sports. That should clear it up
    It's the sure fix for incompetent coaching. And administration: OHSAA coronavirus rules: Students can wrestle, but can't shake hands

The death of logic. I sure do hate to be negative, Geronimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's the sure fix for incompetent coaching. And administration: OHSAA coronavirus rules: Students can wrestle, but can't shake hands

The death of logic. I sure do hate to be negative, Geronimo.
    It’s a trade, but it does save the kids from cognitive dissonance. Not a problem for adults, but young minds are plastic.

Now here’s something controversial for those who care about such matters: I stopped bringing my kids (currently two teens in-house) to Mass because of the mask mandate. I find it deeply repulsive to mix irrational obedience to the state with true worship. Not feeling good about this. There is a serious cost. But I will not go unconscious into that good-night.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Now here’s something controversial for those who care about such matters: I stopped bringing my kids (currently two teens in-house) to Mass because of the mask mandate. I find it deeply repulsive to mix irrational obedience to the state with true worship. Not feeling good about this. There is a serious cost. But I will not go unconscious into that good-night.
    I have continued to go to church, as it has been such an important part of my life for my entire life. We have taken the kids too. But I will say this.....I tend to get the most upset during our services with masks on. It angers me like nearly no other situation.

starting strength coach development program
    I have continued to go to church, as it has been such an important part of my life for my entire life. We have taken the kids too. But I will say this.....I tend to get the most upset during our services with masks on. It angers me like nearly no other situation.
    Yea, I have been a regular Mass-goer all
    my life. I realize I might have got this wrong. But a recent lengthy letter from our Bishop sounded naive and/or trusting of the govt authority and narrative. I can’t stomach it. And I don’t want to conflate matters in my kids’ minds. This is my best attempt at that. There are legit alternatives that I’m looking into.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast