starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A conversation with an Orthopedic Surgeon.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sure. They started training, and they got stronger. They hurt at first, and then the pain stopped as the implants grew into the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sure. They started training, and they got stronger. They hurt at first, and then the pain stopped as the implants grew into the bone.
    Fair enough, Any idea of how long most of them waited until they got under the bar.

A couple of weeks anyway, or until full unloaded ROM can be obtained.

A couple of weeks anyway, or until full unloaded ROM can be obtained.
    Thanks Mark.

This is because medical technology never advances beyond a certain point. For example, here in 2020 prosthetics technology is as advanced as it can ever be, and the problems of implant lifespan cannot be solved beyond today's limitations. All that is known now is all that can ever be known, and therefore chronic pain, no sleep, and immobility is your current best option, and it will always be this way. Hope this helps!

And this is true too, because the implant/bone interface never remodels to the new mechanical environment. I broke several ribs, 34 years ago -- still broken. Collarbone in 1969 -- ditto. Bones just don't heal. DO NOT GET A HIP REPLACEMENT. Just sit down.
    So, I thought I made it clear that the first paragraph was what a surgeon told me. 15 years ago. Their recommendations are exactly the same today.

I said lift heavy things and no/low impact. Because that's true whether you get a replacement or not, and I will not be the judge of someone's decision in that matter. It would be my opinion that it's stupid to get one at 40 and hope to God you get lab-grown knees or robot legs by 55. It would be my experience that there is a point where it's too late to have a replacement done.

I'm sorry you didn't understand my response. I was trying to point out that fact that it's stupid to wait for a prosthesis if the joint dysfunction is compromising your quality of life and ruining your health.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    So, I thought I made it clear that the first paragraph was what a surgeon told me. 15 years ago. Their recommendations are exactly the same today.

I said lift heavy things and no/low impact. Because that's true whether you get a replacement or not, and I will not be the judge of someone's decision in that matter. It would be my opinion that it's stupid to get one at 40 and hope to God you get lab-grown knees or robot legs by 55. It would be my experience that there is a point where it's too late to have a replacement done.
    So no robot legs ?

I'm sorry you didn't understand my response. I was trying to point out that fact that it's stupid to wait for a prosthesis if the joint dysfunction is compromising your quality of life and ruining your health.
    I understood the original. I just didn't understand the need for all of the heavy inference and emphasis. Joint dysfunction seems to be somewhat subjective,but I would put the hard limit on just short of bone-on-bone contact for knees.

The best path forward SEEMS to be to try and stretch the three phases (natural,first replacement and second replacement) as long as possible. Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by rimack View Post
    So no robot legs ?
    Unfortunately, we're both shit out of luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    The best path forward SEEMS to be to try and stretch the three phases (natural,first replacement and second replacement) as long as possible. Do you agree?
    I disagree, as I indicated. When the joint needs to be replaced, replace it then, not when somebody else wants you to, because it affects YOUR life, not theirs. And since you have no idea how long it will last, and what technology may be available at some point in the future that will affect the maintenance schedule, waiting for this reason is pointless.

starting strength coach development program
    Op
    For what it’s worth, I had bilateral hip replacement 2 years ago. My surgeon was younger and was pretty up to speed on the newer materials and lifespans. The 10-20 years thing is for older generation implants. He presented me the options of different materials and gave me the names so I could research them. He recommended ceramic on ceramic due to my age (44 at the time) and that is what I went with. I asked him about lifting and his response was “go for it! These things are made for compressive load.” I asked him about anything specific that I should not do and he said “don’t be a competitive runner. You can certainly run but don’t make it a habit.” The thing about newer materials is that we don’t really know how long they will last. At the time I got the CoC there was about 7 years of data on the first gen ceramics and the wear rate was significantly less than any of the poly materials. The hope is that it will last as long as I do, but it may not.

Hope that helps

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast