starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A conversation with an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Default A conversation with an Orthopedic Surgeon.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure if this interests you or where to put it.

Heads up...This is long and a bit convoluted but may appeal to the older crowd.

A bit of back ground on me, 60 y/o, Been lifting on and off for 30 + years. The last 10 year have been SS/531 and back to SS.
    I was diagnosed with mild arthritis of the right hip approx 2.5 years ago. I have beaten the shit out of my body since I was 17 years old
    with sports, working the trades and then a small business owner for the last 16 years. The pain in my hip has gotten substantially worse over the last 6 month and I can feel the femoral head moving around in the acetabular, I have some serious tendenitous in the right knee and im tired...not ready to go away but tired.
    Below are my xray results....text only, and then the coversation that took pleace via emails with the Kaiser Permanente surgeon.
    Keep in mind that this surgeon comes very highly recomended by many.

11/27/20. Hi Dr.

I hope you are well and safe.
    I have a couple of questions please...hip pain getting worse.
    What, if any is/are the part model or ''name'' numbers and materials of the prosthetic used ? I would like to do some research on this.
    I have gained weight from being nonproductive do to Covid shutting my business down, do you use a larger prosthetic for heavier folks ? my currant weight is 220lbs.
    I am concidering running a growth hormone /hgh protocol as I have done this before with very pleasant results in strength and weight loss... Would growth hormone help or hinder the THR prosess or is it indiffernt ? My personal opinion is that HGH could only help.

PS I am going in for another x-ray on right hip and femur next week in the x-ray machine is up and running.

Thank you much.
    Gary

11/30/20. Hi Gary

The Hip is a Depuy Actis hip
    Your bone size dictates the hip implant not your weight.
    It would be best to ask Dr. Nguyen about the hgh/growth hormone.

Hope this helps, Dr. Klug

12/9/20. XRAYS
    Severe right hip joint degenerative changes.

Arthritis Grade: Severe Arthritis (Tonnis 3).

Narrative
    XRAY BILATERAL HIP

** HISTORY **:
    60 years old, PAIN WITHOUT TRAUMA

** TECHNIQUE **:
    1 view each of the left and right hip and 1 view of the pelvis acquired.

COMPARISON: Radiographs 5/11/2018, 10/7/2013

** FINDINGS **:
    No acute fracture or dislocation.

Severe superior right hip joint space narrowing with subchondral cysts and sclerosis and osteophytes. Left hip joint space is maintained. Mild soft tissue calcification is seen lateral to the right iliac bone likely heterotopic.

12/9/20. Hi Dr.
    I had some pictures of my hips taken today and results came in already. Can you please reevaluate this for me? lots of big scary words that I don't understand...hopeing this is typical medical lingo and findings for severe arthritis.

Thank you
    Gary

12/10/20. Hi Gary

Yes many big words. Basically you have severe hip arthritis. Let me know when your ready for a hip replacement. That is the only real way to fix it.

Dr. Klug

12/10/20. Dr.
    Can I continue to barbell squat and deadlift heavy ...or at least deadlift ? I don't want the femur head popping out of the acetabular and I don't want to ruin the acetabular.... for some reason I get crazy good pain releaf from 400 mg advil gel caps....12+ hours about 75% of the time..please advice .

thank you sir.

12/10/20. Gary
    Don't have the hip done until you give all that up. Take the advil and hide form me.

Happy Holidays, Dr. Klug

12/10/20. Dr.
    I'm sorry,,,give what up ? the Advil or lifting ?

12/10/20. Gary.
    Lifting. Keep the advil.

After reading this I went straight out to the garage, warmed up, and lifted

The guy has a sense of humor.

I'm not laughing yet
    Other than his sense of humor what's your opinion on all this please.

Get the hip done, ASAFP. The guy is a mechanic, not a training consultant.

Fuck.

The doc hit my funny bone too. Hope he's not also a prankster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Get the hip done, ASAFP. The guy is a mechanic, not a training consultant.
    Seconded. My old man was told for a decade plus to let it go as long as he could stand it. That’s what these jokers used to tell everyone. When he finally went in, a 90 minute procedure turned into a 2.5 our session where they opened him up from waist to mid thigh because the deterioration of the joint was so extensive.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    The doc hit my funny bone too. Hope he's not also a prankster.
    When we first met him he didn't come of as a prankster to me. He did tell me to stay away from the surgery as long as I could hence the ''hide from me'' remark. I am mostly concerned with the materials that are used for the femoral head and acetabular...looks like a bunch of plastic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Seconded. My old man was told for a decade plus to let it go as long as he could stand it. That’s what these jokers used to tell everyone. When he finally went in, a 90 minute procedure turned into a 2.5 our session where they opened him up from waist to mid thigh because the deterioration of the joint was so extensive.
    How old was your father at the time ? It sounds like he may have had thin brittle bones.

Look up my podcast with Owen Kelly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Look up my podcast with Owen Kelly.
    Ill watch it again...thanks Mark.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast