starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-workout vision changes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You could try teaching yourself by holding your breath with your mouth open.
    Also, putting your hand on your stomach and feeling it expand, then reduce slightly as you tense your abs around the air.

FWIW I'm a migraine sufferer and sometimes exercise is just plain a trigger because it can easily be the stress to put you over the limit. I have to make sure everything else is on point, particularly electrolyte intake and sleep. Taking 400mg of TRAACs magnesium at bedtime helps with both those things.

Soule, I meant to ask: when you experience the blurred vision, is it during the workout, or after, like mine was?

Elle, thanks for the insights. I have had migraines intermittently since I was a kid (though with no aura), although the last one was about 6 years ago. Although my mother tells me that she now gets visual migraines occasionally with no headache, where she used to get them more like I did.

The valsalva...I know how to do it correctly, and usually do, but sometimes I forget. For me it's a matter of keeping the glottis closed regardless of what my face is doing. Because I haven't figured out how to do a heavy rep with my face relaxed and mouth actually open.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Soule, I meant to ask: when you experience the blurred vision, is it during the workout, or after, like mine was?

Elle, thanks for the insights. I have had migraines intermittently since I was a kid (though with no aura), although the last one was about 6 years ago. Although my mother tells me that she now gets visual migraines occasionally with no headache, where she used to get them more like I did.

The valsalva...I know how to do it correctly, and usually do, but sometimes I forget. For me it's a matter of keeping the glottis closed regardless of what my face is doing. Because I haven't figured out how to do a heavy rep with my face relaxed and mouth actually open.
    During and after the workout. It used to be worse before i started getting better control of my face. However, that all goes to shit during the concentric. I suspect that I’m probably squeezing the shit out of the musculature around my eyes.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to get your eyes checked. I’m past the point of concern with all that.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, all is well after my last workout. I managed my valsalva better so maybe that helped. I'm not particularly concerned given the transient nature of it. I appreciate the input from the board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12