starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting After The COVID Lockdowns

Default Deadlifting After The COVID Lockdowns

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This has come up on the forums a lot. Years ago, at Rip's suggestion, I cut a 1 liter ginger ale bottle and put it under baseball socks to protect my shins when deadlifting. I'd keep those pieces of the bottle in my lifting bag.

Then COVID hit, and the gyms closed. I bought a used Soloflex and deadlifted (and did the other main lifts) with it. I wore lifting shoes but regular socks and no "shin guards" as the Soloflex bar didn't move around much.

The gyms reopened this fall, and I went back, but forgot to wear my baseball socks, so the shin guards wouldn't work. I worried about my shins, but then, instead of thinking "drag the bar up your legs" I used a different cue for myself: "lift it straight up" with the bar positioned over my laces/mid-foot.

Long story short, I don't use the shin guards or the baseball socks anymore, and I haven't dinged my shins with the bar since.

Another difference deadlifting now versus before COVID: my hands used to hurt after deadlifting before. Since I got back in the gym, they haven't. My guess is that months of deadlifting double overhand with the Soloflex strengthened my grip. Holding onto the Soloflex in case our governor shuts the gyms again.

Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Great news!
    Mark -- how do I become a chad like you that can spew out sarcastic comments with no remorse?

Do this for 14 years, son.