starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting at a powerlifting gym

Default Starting at a powerlifting gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip

I've cancelled my membership at a popular commercial gym because they told me I cant use chalk anymore. After making lots of enquiries ive realised most gyms in my neighbourhood dont allow chalk either. So im starting at a powerlifting gym next week that allows it, but there's a problem - the guys there dont like the way you teach the lifts (particularly the squat) and they tell me to do the lifts their way, in a really persistent annoying way.

I've already met a couple of guys that train there while at another gym, and they were immediately giving me lectures about how I should squat, bench press etc their way instead of your way eg they squat with a wide stance and a wide grip, bench press with a huge arch in their back etc. Most of the guys there are huge, very strong, and some are on steroids. They regularly say stuff like "if you wanna get really strong you gotta do this", "you shouldnt be doin that", "Watch me then you try" etc.

Anyway I dont want to do the lifts their way, I dont want to listen to their lectures and have them telling me what to do...but im a bit stuck because its the only proper barbell gym around. Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with the unsolicited advice/them trying to change the way i lift, without getting into awkward arguments? I have issues with anxiety, and every time I start explaining the reasons for your techniques they just say stuff like "yeh but look at how many elite powerlifters have actually been trained by Mark Rippetoe or use his methods...none".

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but i've already got into numerous arguments about this stuff and I dont want to deal with it anymore. I havent got good coordination or proprioception and I know my technique is not perfect, but I just want to be able to go to the gym and do my lifts without having to deal with this shit.

Thanks.

This is the classic example of a time to build your own gym. Why not?

Just smile and say thank you and put your ear buds back in. They will get the hint. You also need to hitch up your big boy pants and stop worrying about what "they" think or say.

Those guys are annoying, it's best not to try and debate them though. Especially not after a set of heavy squats, which is when they usually choose to annoy you about how you need a more vertical back angle or something. If you squatted "their way", you might indeed be capable of bigger numbers. But lifting a big weight is only one of the criteria used in selecting exercises for a solid strength program. If it were the only consideration, we'd all be quarter squatting. Competitive powerlifters ultimately just want the big weight. They want to get stronger too, but lifting is also practice for them, and to get the best scores at their meets, they need to practice lifting the way that will get them the biggest numbers while staying within the rules of the competition. The squat isn't the only lift for them that they may do markedly differently from you. They are probably gripping their bench presses wider than you do, and you may see a lot of them sumo deadlifting if the meets they go to allow sumo deadlifts. These differences are there for the same reason they squat differently, because their concerns are skewed almost exclusively to weight on the bar.

Endure it for a month and once you’re a regular there (and the assholes have all gone through their attempts to impart their “knowledge” on you) they’ll probably leave you alone. And keep the earbuds in and pretend the music is loud even if it isn’t, most people will realize they’re interrupting you if you make it seem like they’re interrupting you. I’ve been there, but I’m also the asshole who will argue back to my own detriment. The best was showing the guy that was deadlifting 700 lbs that was telling me my “hips are too high” that his hips rose to the point where the SS model teaches when got through all his silly bullshit setup and actually started lifting.

I know this isn't the "right" answer, but coming from someone who also has gym/social anxiety and would just not be able to get through a workout if I was nervous about constant corrections...
    Is not being able to use chalk really that much of a deal breaker? If you're hook gripping you could try taping your thumb instead.

I also do better when I remember that these people aren't actually interested in learning through debate like I do. They just want to win the argument. So I just don't waste my precious gym time acting as their free entertainment.

Liquid chalk?

Using the most muscle mass over longest range of motion is harder to accomplish in a competition setting and therefore not welcome in powerlifting. That's why they sumo deadlift, squat high, and make their backs look like rainbows.

Anyone can coach a jacked up gorilla on steroids to a 750 pound sumo deadlift. More impressive is safely taking 65 year old Ms. Betty's deadlift from nothing to 200.

Sounds like an absolute nightmare. Very thankful for my home gym. Mediocre but functional and bro free.

starting strength coach development program
    "Thanks, but I'm not training for competition." Or, you could tell them you're training for Strengthlifting - different rule set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast